Polari - Fantabulosa!
Polari is a queer inclusive cocktail party held at a different style-y bar in Wellington on a Friday late in the month. More info on facebook.
Next: Tuesday 28 February from 5pm at Gooling's Free Dive 14 Leeds St
LILAC - the Lesbian Library
LILAC is a lending library for lesbians and queer women with a great selection of books, DVDs and magazines. It is at 187 Willis Street, 2nd floor (flat access from the street, lift). More info on the LILAC website at lilac.lesbian.net.nz including an online catalogue.
LILAC is open:
- Wednesdays 5.30-7.30 pm
- Thursdays 11 am-2 pm
- Saturdays 11 am-2 pm
LILAC @ the Coasters dinners
LILAC has a service at the monthly Kapiti Coasters pot-luck dinners - two collective members go to each dinner laden with books, DVDs, magazines from the LILAC collections. Plus membership forms etc. so that women can join up and borrow. Check the LILAC website for more information, membership forms and the online catalogue.
Open Day at LILAC
LILAC is holding an open day to coincide with the Wellington Pride Festival.
- Saturday 11 March, 11am - 2pm
- at LILAC, level 2, 187 Willis St
- light refreshments will be served
Women who are interested in joining LILAC - or just having a look around - are welcome to drop in. There is flat access from the street and a lift is available. Check LILAC's Location page for a map to help you find LILAC.
LILAC Book Group
The LILAC Book Group meets on the last Wednesday of the month in the LILAC Library. Tea and coffee are available and there may be cake. Come and join us to share a relaxing evening (re)discovering a range of lesbian literature.
- next: Wednesday 22 February, 6.30 - 8.00 pm
- the theme is food ... fiction, nonfiction, whatever ... somewhat broadly interpreted - more info on the Book Group's webpage
Celebration of a new book at LILAC
Join us to celebrate the release of Tasting the Strange, a new e-book by Robin Fleming.
- Saturday 11 March, 2pm
- at LILAC Lounge, level 2, 187 Willis St
- light refreshments will be served
Kapiti lesbians dining out
Potlucks are held on the Kapiti Coast, usually on the first Saturday of the month. Lesbians from any area is welcome to attend - bring a mains or dessert to share, beverage of your choice. Singles and couples are welcome, as are visiting lesbians. The dates and venues are advertised on Leonie's email list.
Lesbian Overland and Café Club
LOCC is the social walking group for vaguely active lesbians and slightly fitter women. Not a tramping group, but there is one "club" rule: walk some before retiring to a café more ▶
Next: Sunday 12 March: Pride historical walk in Wellington
We will walk around central Wellington visiting sites significant in local lesbian
history. Our guide will be Alison Laurie, who has led such walks in the past.
Meet outside the front of the Wellington railway station at 10am, and wear walking shoes.
The walk is part of the Wellington Pride Festival
Occasional drinks at Finns Bar, Paekakariki
Next: Friday 17 March, from 5.30 pm
[the 3rd Friday of the month]
If you want to stay for dinner phone Finns and book a place with Sally's group.
Friday drinks at Blondinis
Fridays at Blondinis are on holiday until March
A relaxing gathering every second and fourth Friday upstairs at the Embassy Cinema on Kent Terrace from 5.30 to approximately 7pm. Just come along and look for a likely looking group of women and join us.
Stitch & Butch
A weekly craft group, meeting on Mondays at 6:30pm - 8:00pm Bring along your necessary materials and you are in! And they do yarnbombing!
More information on the group's facebook page
Social media groups
- Aotearoa New Zealand Queer Herstories on facebook
- NZ Lesbians Social Group - chat, social events, cat pictures ...
- Femme Club - social events for femmes and friends.
- Hutt/Wellington social group for lesbian & bisexual women - a social space for organising/advertising events such as pool, pub quizes, dinners at cafés, potlucks, walks, movie nights
- New Zealand lesbian and bisexual
- Proud Mary
- Rainbow families NZ - a friendly forum for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents, prospective parents, and their families
- plus a list of LGBTQ groups on our Rainbow page