'More Than Four'
More Than Four is a new free video and poster resource from InsideOUT, exploring the identities and experiences of and beyond ‘LGBT’ identities.
NZ Lesbian-themed short film Tits on a Bull
The NZ lesbian-themed short film Tits on a Bull has been released to view for free online. It was shown during the 2015 NZ International Film Festival and has been screened at a number of prestigious LGBTQ festivals internationally including: Frameline40, The Iris Prize, Inside Out, Outfest, as well as the Side by Side LGBT film festival in Leningrad, Russia.
- Queer History research guide from the National Library of New Zealand
- Lost lesbian places in Wellington, New Zealand - a list of lost (or mostly lost) lesbian places, derived from a longer list of places cited in the Lesbian/Gay Historical Walk of Wellington.
- Lesbian organising in New Zealand on the NZ History website
- Lesbian lives on Te Ara, the online Encyclopaedia of New Zealand
Help lines and support
- OUTLineNZ provides a free confidential telephone help line from Auckland for Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender & Takatāpui (GLBTT) - 0800 688 5463 (0800 OUTLINE)
- Im Local - a project of Rainbow Youth that helps queer and gender diverse youth all over the country to feel valued, recognised and supported in their local communities. They focus on getting information into rural areas.
- Intersex Youth Aotearoa - a place to share information, find support and network.
- Hohou Te Rongo Kahukura - Outing Violence - dedicated to building Rainbow communities in Aotearoa New Zealand free of partner and sexual violence.
- Ask Joanne - a discussion board for married women attracted to women, a moderated service that helps women who are questioning their sexual orientation (international)
How Safe Are Our Schools? - a 2014 report on bullying in schools produced for the Greens (pdf 200kb). It is based on Official Information Act requests to 60 New Zealand high schools
Local lesbian websites
- Armstrong & Arthur Charitable Trust for Lesbians
- LILAC - Wellington's lesbian library. It has a page of links to lesbian full-text titles on the web, and an online catalogue.
- Jean Kahui - Lesbian art at Waikanae; studio visits welcome by arrangement
- Tomboi Comedy - the bois are on the web - with links to their pieces on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter
Queer Wellington websites
- Different Strokes - Wellington's gay and lesbian swim team
- Frontrunners Wellington - gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs
- GalaXies - a Christian-ish spiritual community for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals and transgender people
- The Glamaphones - Wellington's gay and lesbian choir [facebook]
- LAGANZ - Lesbian and Gay Archives of New Zealand
- Queer Avengers - a group fighting homophobia and transphobia, in Wellington and further afield [facebook]
- Rainbow Team Wellington - an umbrella group for Wellington's LGBTI sport and recreation clubs
- Rainbow Wellington - providing opportunities for members to network with regular social events.
- Tīwhanawhana - a takatāpui community group based in Wellington that welcomes people of diverse sexualities and gender identity
- Tranzform - a support group for trans* youth, their friends and supporters
- UniQ Massey Wellington - on facebook
- UniQ Victoria - group for queer students at Victoria University of Wellington, and their website.
- Walk Tours NZ - free community LGBTI rainbow themed walked tours in Wellington.
- Wellington Pride Festival website and on facebook
New Zealand websites
- Charlotte Museum Trust - a lesbian museum for New Zealand
- Lesbian Aotearoa
- ALBA Engine on facebook (formerly called the Auckland Lesbian Business Association)
- Deco Divas - Hawke's Bay lesbians
- LSG - Waikato's Social Group for Lesbians
- Lesbian Nelson, Motueka, Tasman
- Christchurch lesbians - information on the Women's Centre website
Queer NZ websites
- Gay New Zealand - who host this website
- Rainbow NZ Charitable Trust - providing nationwide support for LGBTI+ individuals, projects and organisations
- Auckland Pride Festival
- Camping out at Vinegar Hill - facebook group for the annual camping holiday for Gay and Lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period.
- EquAsian - an LGBTQI+ group for Asian Aucklanders on facebook
- Gender Minorities Aotearoa - a cross cultural and transgender led organisation assisting transgender, intersex and Takatāpui people
- InsideOUT - works to make Aotearoa a safer place for young people of diverse genders and sexualities.
- LGBT collection on NZ on Screen collection showcasing Aotearoa Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender screen production audio files - a diverse range of quirky characters from diverse queer communities, yarning on topics and ponderings such as dis/abilities, gender fluidity, writing, history, activism, spirituality, out at school etc etc.
- Out@Work - the Council of Trade Union's network for lesbian, gay, takatāpui, bisexual, intersex, transgender and fa'afafine union members
- Overwatch - an organisation of Regular, Reserve and Civilian members of the New Zealand Defence Force who are GLBTI their friends, family and allies
- prideNZ.com audio files of interviews with a diverse range of quirky characters from diverse queer communities, yarning on topics and ponderings such as dis/abilities, gender fluidity, writing, history, activism, spirituality, out at school etc etc. Follow news of the latest audio files of interviews and events added to PrideNZ on their facebook page
- A section in prideNZ.com has links to the original categories, article titles and text captured from GayNZ.com before it ceased. Each entry has a link to the text of the article, and many also have links to the original articles held in the Internet Archive.
- PFLAG Palmerston North is a support network for parents and families of lesbian and gays - they are on facebook.
- Police diversity liaison officers
- Queer Asian stories from New Zealand
- Rainbow Youth - an Auckland based organisation that provides support, information and advocacy and education for queer young people and their families.
- Rainbow Youth have released an accessible educational resource which can be viewed online or downloaded.
- Voicing Pride - a storytelling platform that gives a voice to the unheard members of LGBTQ+ communities across all New Zealand secondary schools
International lesbian and queer websites
- Herstoric lesbian imagery - a collection of historic photos and videos on Instagram (signin required)
- Historic gay & lesbian photos from the digital collections of the New York Public Libraries
- Queer Music History 101 - Part 6 - from a 10-part American college course
- ILGA - International Lesbian and Gay Association
- Autostraddle - American magazine-style site - all sorts of goodies
- Lesbian Avengers - history, pixs, videos, and the full text of the classic Lesbian Avengers Handbook, 3rd ed. - available in dead-tree format at LILAC library
- One More Lesbian - for movies, TV, web series etc., some free, some pay per view
- glbtq - archive of an encyclopedia of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender & queer culture ... heaps for the congenital insomniac (no new material added since 2015)
- QueerBio - a biographical reference source for contemporary and historical figures who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer
- Out History - a freely accessible educational website in development about lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and heterosexual history. [a bit earnest on the home page ... but there are riches]
- Wikipedia LGBT portal - not just lesbian but an interesting and eclectic collection of articles and links
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity FAQs - NZ Human Rights Commission
- Outright Action International - check their publications
- Courage Unfolds - a film about LGBT human rights and the Yogyakarta Principles in Asia.
- Yogyakarta Principles on the application of international human rights law in relation to sexual orientation and gender identity.
- An Activist's Guide to the Yogyakarta Principles
Wellbeing and health
- You, Me / Us - booklet and information about healthy relationships for the queer, takatāpui and gender diverse community
- Lesbian Cancer Survivors and Caregivers - a facebook support group
- Residents' Rights for Rainbow Older People - a kit of pfds and videos from an Auckland project
- Lesbian Zest: tips on how to survive and flourish - brings together stories from 27 Australian lesbians about where they get support and what helps them to flourish. It includes advice and tips on how to thrive as a lesbian. Based on original research by Ea Mulligan and Mary Heath of Flinders University, Australia (pdf 2 Mb).
- Thriving as a bisexual or queer woman: tips on how to flourish - brings together stories from 20 Australian women who identify as bi or queer and who are leading thriving lives. Based on original research by Mary Heath and Ea Mulligan (pdf 1.4 Mb)
- Your mental health booklet for LGBT
people - produced by queer groups in Ireland (pdf 1432kb)
Lesbian families and pregnancy
- Rainbow families NZ - a friendly forum for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents, prospective parents, and their families
- Lesbian mothers: Queer Families - the experience of planned pregnancy - by Caroline Bree (thesis, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Auckland University of Technology, 2003)