Pride Quiz Night Fundraiser
Tuesday 18 Feb from 5pm @ Heyday Beer, 264A Cuba St.
LGBTI history walk tours
Pride Festival - (Red) LGBTQ rainbow walk tour
Sunday 23 February 1pm - 2:30pm
This is a 90-minute walk tour of inner city Wellington, New Zealand. The walk is on the flat using accessible public footpaths. Starts: Pukeahu Park (meet at the bottom of the steps to the war memorial), Tory Street.
Early female impersonators
The Salvation Army and homosexual law reform
Community icons giving back
LGBTI social meeting places
Imprisonment on Matiu Somes Island
Infamous local hate crimes
A landmark church service on homosexuality
The walk will also be interpreted into New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) with thanks to ANZ and Wellington Pride Festival | Tū Whakahīhī e Te Whanganui-ā-Tara
More info on the facebook event page.
More Pride 2020 LGBTQ rainbow walk tours
- Turquoise LGBTQ rainbow walk tour Sunday 1 March 1pm - 2:30pm
- Violet LGBTQ rainbow walk tour Sunday 8 March 1pm - 2:30pm
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage.
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities.
The next event:
- RW drinks Friday 13 March from 5pm at Southern Cross, 39 Abel Smith St. The venue is "The Porch" which is at the back outdoors.
OUTSpoken is a Toastmasters club based in Wellington which focuses on developing leadership and communication skills among the wider rainbow community. Find more details on their facebook page
Naked Girls Boys Reading
Saturday 25 April 8pm @ The Fringe Bar, 28 Allen St.
Boys will be boys. Or will they? We’re deconstructing traditional toxic masculinity and challenging the social norms. There’s no need to “man up” – we’ll be expressing all the emotions, exploring the gender spectrum, and raising up the guys to be exactly who they are. More info and tix on the facebook event page.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
Check out the awesome historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
Hutt Valley Rainbows
A social group based in the Hutt Valley. They usually meet on the second weekend of the month. Join the facebook group for more information.
The Glamaphones Choir
The Glamaphones are Wellington's all-inclusive rainbow choir based at St Andrews on the Terrace. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. Visit their facebook page for more info.
Same sex dancing classes
Come and have fun and Dance on Sunday Nights!
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7.00 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8.10 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS facebook page for more information.
School's Out provides a safe, inclusive, social and support space for Queer* and
questioning youth in the Wellington region.
Visit their facebook page for more info.
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook
Ivy Bar and Cabaret
James Smiths Basement, 49 Cuba Street - www.ivybar.co.nz
S&M's - Scotty and Mal's Cocktail and Lounge Bar
176 Cuba Street - www.scottyandmals.co.nz.
facebook and other social media groups
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Gay Wellington
- Tīwhanawhana is a takatāpui community group in Wellington that welcomes people of all diverse sexualities and gender. The kaupapa of Tīwhanawhana is primarily for takatāpui: building community, telling our stories and leaving legacies.
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Fresh Fruits - a free MeetUp social group open to all members of the rainbow community. They have regular city walks and social events such as pot luck dinners, board game afternoons and beer tastings
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...