Rainbow Sport & Culture Weekend
25-27 January 2019
An informal and friendly LGBTI social weekend of fun and competition ... tenpin bowling, swim meet, fun run, golf, same-sex dancing ... more info on the website and on facebook. The Programme is now on the website - it includes Badminton, Tenpin bowling, a DSW Swim meet, Frontrunners fun run, Rainbow golf and Same-sex dancing. Plus of course a Friday evening meet and greet, Dinner on Saturday and Brunch on Sunday. So there are lots of options to participate, volunteer or just go along and have fun!
Whakarongo: Pride, ILGA World and beyond
Sunday 27 January 1-4pm, Wellington Central City Library
Tīwhanawhana warmly invites takatāpui, LGBTIQ+ and rainbow identifying people from around the wider Te Whanganui-a-Tara (Wellington) region to gather for a community hui in the new year. It is inspired by the passionate discussion on Pride around the country, but it is part of a bigger conversation. This upcoming March, our city will be hosting visitors from around the world for the International Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA) World Conference ... more on the facebook event page.
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities.
The next event:
- RW drinks Friday 25 January ... details to come
LGBTI history walk tours
Yellow Tour Sunday 3 February and Sunday 17 March, 1pm - 2:30pm
This tour highlights historic and contemporary transgender and non-binary people and communities related to Wellington. Learn about Amy Bock, Aunty Dana's Op Shop, Bella Simpson, Carmen Rupe, Chrissy Witoko, Dana de Milo, Dr von Dannevill, Eugunia Falleni, Gender Minorities Aotearoa, Georgina Beyer, Shelley Te Waiariki Howard and Zena Campbell.
Starts: Outside Thistle Hall, 293 Cuba Street
Ends: Civic Square
Duration: 90 minutes
Cost / Bookings: free – no need to book. Just turn up, but please check the Facebook page for weather related cancellations.
Areas covered: Cuba Street, Marion Street, Victoria Street and Civic Square
More info on the facebook event page.
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage.
OUTSpoken is a Toastmasters club based in Wellington which focuses on developing leadership and communication skills among the wider rainbow community. Find more details on their facebook page
Next: 10 Febuary, 5-8pm @ S&Ms 176 Cuba St
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
Check out the awesome historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
Hutt Valley Rainbows
A social group based in the Hutt Valley. They usually meet on the second weekend of the month. Find more details via facebook.
Brackets puts on queer performance events at BATS in Wellington - a monthly smorgasbord of queer entertainment - everything from plays to podcasts to poetry slams. If it's queer, they love it. More on facebook
School's Out provides a safe, inclusive, social and support space for Queer* and
questioning youth in the Wellington region.
Visit their facebook page for more info.
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook
Same sex dancing classes
Come and have fun and Dance on Sunday Nights!
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7.00 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8.10 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS facebook page for more information.
facebook and other social media groups
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Gay Wellington
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Fresh Fruits - a free MeetUp social group open to all members of the rainbow community. They have regular city walks and social events such as pot luck dinners, board game afternoons and beer tastings
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...