2017 Rainbow Election Forum
Tuesday 22 August, 6pm, St Andrew's on the Terrace
A forum for major candidates to speak on the rainbow community's national issues. Parties
will speak followed by a Q + A, so bring your mosth important questions ... more info on
the facebook event page.
The event is being organised by Rainbow Wellington
Brackets NZ: Matiu Somes Island Discs
Sat 26 August, 9pm @ BATS Theatre
Brackets puts on queer performance events in Wellington. From plays to podcasts to poetry slams, if it's queer, they love it. More on facebook.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treause trove with more being added regularly.
Homosexual Law Reform
pridenz.com has an important archive of interviews (audio and transcripts) with the people who were there during the campaign. Plus photos and videos from the time - the public meetings, the demos ... it's our queer history 101!
'20 years out!' Homosexual law reform in New Zealand
To mark the 20th anniversary of homosexual law reform in New Zealand, Radio NZ added rare audio recordings to its website. The rich assortment of audio was drawn from 20 years out!, a Radio NZ documentary created by Gareth Watkins and broadcast on National Radio on 9 July 2006, the 20th anniversary of the final vote. It was broadcast again on July 12 2016.
Much of the protest and rally sound was originally recorded for Access Radio programmes made by the Gay Broadcasting Collective (Gay BC) and had never before been heard nationally. There are also reflections from gay men who faced personal discrimination during the heated debate, as well as interviews with lesbians after the passage of the Bill.
Listen to the audio archive at www.radionz.co.nz/national/documentaries/20yearsout
Rainbow Wellington events
Monthly drinks at popular venues ... more on rainbowwellington.org.nz.
The Glamaphones Choir
The Glamaphones are Wellington's gay, lesbian, and transgender community-based choir. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. Visit their facebook page for more info.
Has alcohol become a problem in your life?
Wellington has a new LGBTQIA+ AA meeting. Phew, that's a heap of acronyms. Meetings to be held on Mondays at 6:30pm at St.Andrews on the Terrace.
LGBTI rainbow walk tours through Wellington
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington New Zealand highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage. They have been leading monthly walks - check their website for the next one.
This walk is offered by .
Rainbow Team Wellington
Rainbow Team Wellington and Proud to Play are organising the Rainbow Sports & Cutlure Weekend in Wellington on Friday 27 - Sunday 29 January 2017
Rainbow Team Wellington are trying to build up their list of queer sports teams and clubs in Wellington on their new website - check the Sports & Recreation page on their website, and contact them if your team or club isn't listed!
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Didderent Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Welly Queer Badminton - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Hot Shot Tennis - a social tennis club for Wellington's LGBTI community but open to all.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Yoshinkan Kendo Club – Hutt - taught by Liz Dutton and Sue Lytollis
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook
Same sex dancing classes
Come and have fun and Dance on Sunday Nights!
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7.00 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8.10 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS website www.danss.org.nz for more information, or keep up to date on their facebook page.
facebook and other social media groups
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Faith Communities United in Love
- Gay Wellington
- GLBT New Zealand Hot Topics
- GLBT Young Adults NZ
- UniQ Victoria - group for queer students at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Lost Gay Wellington
- NZDF Overwatch - an organisation of Regular, Reserve and Civilian members of the New Zealand Defence Force who are GLBTI their friends, family and allies
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Rainbow Teachers NZ
- Social Fruits a Wellington 18+ Queer Social Group
- also Fresh Fruit - LGBTQ meetups - a web-based (meetup.com) group open to LGBTQ community members in the Wellington region
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...