'Jojo Rabbit' - Pride fundraiser
Thursday 24 October 5:30pm @ Light House Cuba Cinema, 29 Wigan St.
Join the Wellington Pride 2020 organisers at this screening of Jojo Rabbit to help raise funds for the 2020 Wellington Pride Festival. Not only do they have a wonderful movie on offer, a kiwi-directed film challenging blind nationalism through satire, they will have plenty of goodies to auction off prior to the screening. So come along, grab a drink at the cinema bar and open your wallets to a wonderful cause - to put on a great festival for the Wellington queer community in February 2020 ... more info on the facebook event page. Tickets from eventfinda
LGBTI history walk tours
Violet+ Tour - Sunday 3 November, 1:00-2:30 pm
Meet on the steps of Parliament Buildings (by the flag poles). Learn about:
- Homosexual Law Reform
- The beginnings of rainbow radio broadcasting
- LGBTI rainbow personalities
- Churches and LGBTI rainbow communities
- Imprisonment on Matiu Somes Island
- A WW1 same-sex love story
The tour ends at the NZ Portrait Gallery on the waterfront where there is currently a fantastic rainbow exhibition (free entry): Poutokomanawa: The Carmen Rupe Generation. It features Carmen Rupe, Chrissy Witoko, Dana de Milo, Sam Orchard, Taupuruariki Brightwell and Jack Trolove.
More information on the facebook event page
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage.
OUTSpoken is a Toastmasters club based in Wellington which focuses on developing leadership and communication skills among the wider rainbow community. Find more details on their facebook page
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities.
The next event:
- RW drinks Friday 8 November at S&Ms, 176 Cuba St.
Hutt Valley Rainbows
A social group based in the Hutt Valley. They usually meet on the second weekend of the month. Join the facebook group for more information.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
Check out the awesome historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
The Glamaphones Choir
The Glamaphones are Wellington's all-inclusive rainbow choir based at St Andrews on the Terrace. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. Visit their facebook page for more info.
Same sex dancing classes
Come and have fun and Dance on Sunday Nights!
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7.00 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8.10 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS facebook page for more information.
School's Out provides a safe, inclusive, social and support space for Queer* and
questioning youth in the Wellington region.
Visit their facebook page for more info.
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook
Queer bars and venues
Ivy Bar and Cabaret
James Smiths Basement, 49 Cuba Street - www.ivybar.co.nz
S&M's - Scotty and Mal's Cocktail and Lounge Bar
176 Cuba Street - www.scottyandmals.co.nz.
facebook and other social media groups
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Gay Wellington
- Tīwhanawhana is a takatāpui community group in Wellington that welcomes people of all diverse sexualities and gender. The kaupapa of Tīwhanawhana is primarily for takatāpui: building community, telling our stories and leaving legacies.
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Fresh Fruits - a free MeetUp social group open to all members of the rainbow community. They have regular city walks and social events such as pot luck dinners, board game afternoons and beer tastings
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...