Rainbow Pasefika @ Wellington Pasifika Festival
Saturday 20 January, noon - 6pm, Odlin's Plaza, 21 Cable St
Rainbow Pasefika will have a marquee at the Pasifika Festival. From 12 pm to 3 pm they will be attempting to make the World's Longest Rainbow Lei and then from 3 pm to 6 pm, they will have guest DJs play the freshest tunes for all the fly kokonuttys!
Wellington Pride Festival 2018
24 February - 10 March 2018
- Out in the Park - the Fair on Saturday 24 February at Waitangi Park
- Out in the Park Afterparty Saturday 24 February - presented by the Gag Drag Collective
- Youth Ball Saturday 3 March
Registrations are open for stalls at the Fair - be in quick to book one for your group.
There will also be lots of other events organised by local queer groups and individuals - contact the organisers if you want to be a part of the Festival and register your event by 1 December
Fundraising is under way to pay for our fun so dig deep - there is a givealittle page where you can make a donation.
Wellington International Pride Parade 2018
- Parade Saturday 10 March starting 6pm in Tennyson St and proceeding to the waterfront
- WIPP Go Tribal Party Saturday 10 March 8:30pm - 3am @ Mac's Brewery Function Centre
LGBTI history walk tours
Turquoise Tour Sunday 4 February, 1pm, from outside of the City Gallery, Civic Square
Join Walk Tours NZ on this 90-minute walk tour of the inner city. Most of the walk
is on the flat using accessible public footpaths.
- Activism and homosexual law reform
- Homosexuality being used as a political weapon
- LGBTI rainbow personalities and famous artists
- Early social meeting places
... more info on the facebook event page
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage. They have been leading monthly walks - check their website for the next one.
Welcome Queer Party
Saturday 10 February, 10pm - 2am @ The Fat Angel (upstairs at Eva Beva), cnr Dixon & Eva
Saturday 10 March, 9pm - 2am @ The Fat Angel (upstairs at Eva Beva), cnr Dixon & Eva
They're back for more nights of diva dancing and fabulous drinks in good ol' company. Catch up with friends, and make new ones. Everyone is Welcome here, and everyone here is queer ... more info on the facebook event page.
Rainbow Fun Triathlon
Saturday 3 March, 9:30am - noon starting at Freyberg Beach, Oriental Bay
Get out and proud at the Second Rainbow Fun Triathlon will be held on Saturday 3 March as a part of the Wellington Pride Festival. It features an 800m sea swim, 10km bicycle ride and 5km run, with teams of up to three people undertaking the three sections ... more info on the facebook event page.
My BIG PHAT GAY* retro DISCO
Saturday 10 March, 8pm - 2am @ Caroline, 1 Manners St
Get ya flares on, dust off ya platform shoes and bring ya best boogie moves because
Vinyl&Proud are back in town for Wellington Pride Festival 2018, and they're here to PARTY!
Come down to Wellington's funkiest retro venue, Caroline Bar, and relive the disco days with some good, old-school, phat sounds - all played on vinyl especially for our *Rainbow families and friends ... more info on the facebook event page. Tickets on sale January 17.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treause trove with more being added regularly.
Homosexual Law Reform
prideNZ.com has an important archive of interviews (audio and transcripts) with the people who were there during the campaign. Plus photos and videos from the time - the public meetings, the demos ... it's our queer history 101!
'20 years out!' Homosexual law reform in New Zealand
To mark the 20th anniversary of homosexual law reform in New Zealand, Radio NZ added rare audio recordings to its website. The rich assortment of audio was drawn from 20 years out!, a Radio NZ documentary created by Gareth Watkins and broadcast on National Radio on 9 July 2006, the 20th anniversary of the final vote. It was broadcast again on July 12 2016.
Much of the protest and rally sound was originally recorded for Access Radio programmes made by the Gay Broadcasting Collective (Gay BC) and had never before been heard nationally. There are also reflections from gay men who faced personal discrimination during the heated debate, as well as interviews with lesbians after the passage of the Bill.
Listen to the audio archive at www.radionz.co.nz/national/documentaries/20yearsout
Brackets puts on queer performance events at BATS in Wellington - a monthly smorgasbord of queer entertainment - everything from plays to podcasts to poetry slams. If it's queer, they love it.
Audio from the August event Matiu Soames Island Discs is available on the Brackets website.
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities.
The next event is:
- RW drinks - Friday 26 January @ S&M's, 176 Cuba St
Check the Rainbow Wellington events page for more information.
Has alcohol become a problem in your life?
Wellington has a new LGBTQIA+ AA meeting. Phew, that's a heap of acronyms. Meetings to be held on Mondays at 6:30pm at St.Andrews on the Terrace.
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Queer Badminton - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Hot Shot Tennis - a social tennis club for Wellington's LGBTI community but open to all.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Yoshinkan Kendo Club – Hutt - taught by Liz Dutton and Sue Lytollis
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook
Same sex dancing classes
Come and have fun and Dance on Sunday Nights!
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7.00 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8.10 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS website www.danss.org.nz for more information, or keep up to date on their facebook page.
facebook and other social media groups
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Faith Communities United in Love
- Gay Wellington
- GLBT New Zealand Hot Topics
- GLBT Young Adults NZ
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Rainbow Teachers NZ
- Social Fruits a Wellington 18+ Queer Social Group
- also Fresh Fruit - LGBTQ meetups - a web-based (meetup.com) group open to LGBTQ community members in the Wellington region
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...