ILGA World Conference 2019
18-22 March 2019, in Wellington
The International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA) is holding their next confenence in Wellington! Hosts are the Intersex Trust Aotearoa New Zealand, Tīwhanawhana Trust and RainbowYOUTH. Visit the Conference website - registrations of interest are now being accepted.
Sat 23 June 9pm @ BATS Theatre
Two queer writers, Sam Duckor-Jones and Marolyn Krasner, will read from their new works and talk about queer writing. Should be a good time, so come on down! See the facebook event page
Brackets puts on queer performance events at BATS in Wellington - a monthly smorgasbord of queer entertainment - everything from plays to podcasts to poetry slams. If it's queer, they love it. More on facebook
The Glamaphones Sing a Rainbow (The Colours Concert)
Sat 30 June 7pm & St Andrew's on The Terrace
The Glamaphones are back and they are more colourful than ever! This season they will be bringing us every colour under the rainbow. There’s a colour to match every genre and a hue for every mood ... more on the facebook page. Tickets are available from choir members or eventfinda.
The Glamaphones are Wellington's gay, lesbian and transgender community-based choir. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. Visit their facebook page or website for more info.
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities.
The next events:
- Mid-winter dinner - Sat 30 June @ Cin Cin 156 Cuba St - bookings essential
- RW drinks - 13 July @ Bad Grannies, cnr Vivian and Cuba
Check the Rainbow Wellington events page for more information.
LGBTI history walk tours
Turquoise Tour Sunday 1 July, 1pm, from outside the City Gallery, Civic Square
Join Walk Tours NZ on this 90-minute walk tour of the inner city. Most of the walk
is on the flat using accessible public footpaths.
- Activism and homosexual law reform
- Homosexuality being used as a political weapon
- LGBTI rainbow personalities and famous artists
- Early social meeting places
Starts: Outside of the City Gallery, Civic Square; ends: Midland Park on Lambton Quay duration: 90 minutes ... more info on the facebook event page
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage. They lead monthly walks - check their website for the next one.
UniQ Victoria Pride Week
Monday 23 - Saturday 28 July
UniQ Victoria's Pride Week is back in July 2018 with a fantastic line up of events and activities. Thier facebook page has the programme.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
Hutt Valley Rainbows
A social group based in the Hutt Valley. They usually meet on the second weekend of the month. Find more details via facebook.
OUTSpoken is a Toastmasters club based in Wellington which focuses on developing leadership and communication skills among the wider rainbow community. Find more details on their facebook page
Has alcohol become a problem in your life?
Wellington has a new LGBTQIA+ AA meeting. Phew, that's a heap of acronyms. Meetings to be held on Mondays at 6:30pm at St.Andrews on the Terrace.
School's Out provides a safe, inclusive, social and support space for Queer* and
questioning youth in the Wellington region.
Visit their facebook page for more info.
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Hot Shot Tennis - a social tennis club for Wellington's LGBTI community but open to all.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Yoshinkan Kendo Club – Hutt - taught by Liz Dutton and Sue Lytollis
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook
Same sex dancing classes
Come and have fun and Dance on Sunday Nights!
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7.00 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8.10 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS website www.danss.org.nz for more information, or keep up to date on their facebook page.
facebook and other social media groups
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Faith Communities United in Love
- Gay Wellington
- GLBT New Zealand Hot Topics
- GLBT Young Adults NZ
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Rainbow Teachers NZ
- Social Fruits a Wellington 18+ Queer Social Group
- Fresh Fruits - a free MeetUp social group open to all members of the rainbow community. They have regular city walks and social events such as pot luck dinners, board game afternoons and beer tastings
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...