LGBTI history walk tours
Resonance Tour - Sunday 22 Sept 11am-12:30
Join Walk Tours NZ on this free 90-minute walk tour of inner city Wellington looking at
sites of significance to Wellington’s LGBTI rainbow communities.
While many of the buildings still exist, the inhabitants and their activities have changed dramatically over time. This walk tour gives you an opportunity to be transported back to earlier days to hear stories of courage and resilience while standing in the locations where it all happened.
The tour recounts stories drawn from their other tours - making it a great introduction to their larger series of monthly LGBTI rainbow walk tours in Wellington. It’s mainly on flat accessible footpaths and covers Cuba Street, Vivian Street and Willis Street. It will visit Carmen’s curio shop, stop by the infamous Club Exotic, talk about a poetic same-sex romance, visit the site of the discreet Dorian Society and more.
The walk starts outside Thistle Hall, 283 Cuba St. ... facebook event page
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage.
The Babysitters Club: A Drag Show Starring Young Performers!
Saturday 28 September 7pm @ Wellington High School, 249 Taranaki St
Welcome to The Babysitters Club: the drag show starring young performers! It's the coolest
queer afterschool care in town. Ditch your homework, snatch ya backpacks and head on down
to this glittering and gorgeous celebration of up-and-coming drag. Under-18 queens, kid kings
and everything tween and inbetween - this showcase will be stacked with scholastic talent!
Show your support for the region's aspiring dragsters and get your tickets now, starting at
just $15-$20 at the door ... more on the facebook event page
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities.
The next events:
- RW Spring dinner Saturday 28 September at Pasha Turkish Restaurant, 62 Dixon St ... more details on the Rainbow Wellington website incl bookings and prepayment.
- RW drinks Friday 11 October at Chooky's, cnr Cuba and Vivian
OUTSpoken is a Toastmasters club based in Wellington which focuses on developing leadership and communication skills among the wider rainbow community. Find more details on their facebook page
Next: Sunday 29 September 5-8pm @ S&Ms 176 Cuba St ... more on the facebook event page
The Glamaphones sing Bernstein
Saturday 12 October 5:30pm @ St Peter's on Willis
This October, the Glamaphones will be showcasing their versatility by performing two great
works by Leonard Bernstein. This programme of two halves will feature songs from "the
greatest musical of all-time", West Side Story, as well as the choral classic, Chichester
Psalms. While being pieces of contrasting genres, they were the works of a singular man of
genius, and will again be brought together by the Glamaphones’ inimitable passion of delivery ...
more on the facebook event page. Tickets from eventfinda
The Glamaphones are Wellington's all-inclusive rainbow choir based at St Andrews on the Terrace. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. Visit their facebook page for more info.
'Jojo Rabbit' - Pride fundraiser
Thursday 24 October 5:30pm @ Light House Cuba Cinema, 29 Wigan St.
Join the Wellington Pride 2020 organisers at this screening of Jojo Rabbit to help raise funds for the 2020 Wellington Pride Festival. Not only do they have a wonderful movie on offer, a kiwi-directed film challenging blind nationalism through satire, they will have plenty of goodies to auction off prior to the screening. So come along, grab a drink at the cinema bar and open your wallets to a wonderful cause - to put on a great festival for the Wellington queer community in February 2020 ... more info on the facebook event page. Tickets from eventfinda
Hutt Valley Rainbows
A social group based in the Hutt Valley. They usually meet on the second weekend of the month. Join the facebook group for more information.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
Check out the awesome historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
Same sex dancing classes
Come and have fun and Dance on Sunday Nights!
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7.00 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8.10 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS facebook page for more information.
School's Out provides a safe, inclusive, social and support space for Queer* and
questioning youth in the Wellington region.
Visit their facebook page for more info.
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook
Queer bars and venues
Ivy Bar and Cabaret
James Smiths Basement, 49 Cuba Street - www.ivybar.co.nz
S&M's - Scotty and Mal's Cocktail and Lounge Bar
176 Cuba Street - www.scottyandmals.co.nz.
facebook and other social media groups
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Gay Wellington
- Tīwhanawhana is a takatāpui community group in Wellington that welcomes people of all diverse sexualities and gender. The kaupapa of Tīwhanawhana is primarily for takatāpui: building community, telling our stories and leaving legacies.
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Fresh Fruits - a free MeetUp social group open to all members of the rainbow community. They have regular city walks and social events such as pot luck dinners, board game afternoons and beer tastings
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...