ILGA World Conference 2019
18-22 March 2019, in Wellington
The International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA) is holding their next confenence in Wellington! Hosts are the Intersex Trust Aotearoa New Zealand, Tīwhanawhana Trust and RainbowYOUTH. Visit the Conference website - registrations of interest are now being accepted.
Wellington launch of the Conference
Friday 24 August, 5:30pm, National Library, Molesworth st
Theme: Celebrating the past to liberate the future
- Helen Kennedy, ILGA Co-Secretary General
- Andre du Plessis, ILGA Executive Director
NZ hosts: Tīwhanawhana Trust, Intersex NZ, Rainbow Youth
RSVP to email@example.com
Are youLGBTQ* in the Hutt?
Are you aged between 16 and 19? Studying or working in the Hutt Valley? If so, are you also interested in participating in a focus group or interview to see how Hutt City Libraries could better meet your needs?
Jay is conducting research for his Masters in Information Sturies at Vic on what information local LGBTQI* teens need and want, and how Hutt City Libraries could help to meet those needs ... see Jay's poster (pdf 103kb) for more information.
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage. They lead monthly walks - check their website for the next one.
Red Tour Sunday 2 September 1pm - 2:30pm
The walk starts at Pukeahu Park (meet at the bottom of the steps to the war
memorial), Tory Street, and ends at St Peter's church, Willis Street after visiting
historical sites on Tory, Vivian, Cuba and Willis Streets; duration 90 mins.
- Early female impersonators
- The Salvation Army and homosexual law reform
- Community icons giving back
- LGBTI social meeting places
- Infamous local hate crimes
- A landmark church service on homosexuality
More info on the facebook event page.
Sat 1 December: 30th anniversary walk tour - the NZ AIDS Memorial Quilt
Info on the facebook event page
Feedback meeting on research about alcohol use in the Rainbow Community
Monday 10 Sept, 5:30 for 6pm, Executive Suite, Massey University, Wallace Street, Mt Cook
Come along to a community meeting to hear the results of research about the role of alcohol and drinking among members of New Zealand's Rainbow/LGBTQ+ communities. Rainbow community individuals and organisations, as well as those working in related areas are encouraged to attend. The research team would love to hear your feedback on the results. Register your interest.
Hutt Valley Rainbows
A social group based in the Hutt Valley. They usually meet on the second weekend of the month. Find more details via facebook.
Brackets: Sass and Sombre
Sat 25 August 9pm @ BATS Theatre
Sass and Sombre are a polyvocal spoken word duo presenting a brand new piece for Brackets in August
Brackets puts on queer performance events at BATS in Wellington - a monthly smorgasbord of queer entertainment - everything from plays to podcasts to poetry slams. If it's queer, they love it. More on facebook
OUTSpoken is a Toastmasters club based in Wellington which focuses on developing leadership and communication skills among the wider rainbow community. Find more details on their facebook page
Next: 9 Sept, 5-7:30pm @ S&Ms 176 Cuba St
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities.
The next events:
- RW drinks - 14 September @ Fringe Bar, Allen St.
Check the Rainbow Wellington events page for more information.
School's Out provides a safe, inclusive, social and support space for Queer* and
questioning youth in the Wellington region.
Visit their facebook page for more info.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
Has alcohol become a problem in your life?
Wellington has a new LGBTQIA+ AA meeting. Phew, that's a heap of acronyms. Meetings to be held on Mondays at 6:30pm at St.Andrews on the Terrace.
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Hot Shot Tennis - a social tennis club for Wellington's LGBTI community but open to all.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Yoshinkan Kendo Club – Hutt - taught by Liz Dutton and Sue Lytollis
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook
Same sex dancing classes
Come and have fun and Dance on Sunday Nights!
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7.00 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8.10 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS website www.danss.org.nz for more information, or keep up to date on their facebook page.
facebook and other social media groups
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Faith Communities United in Love
- Gay Wellington
- GLBT New Zealand Hot Topics
- GLBT Young Adults NZ
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Rainbow Teachers NZ
- Social Fruits a Wellington 18+ Queer Social Group
- Fresh Fruits - a free MeetUp social group open to all members of the rainbow community. They have regular city walks and social events such as pot luck dinners, board game afternoons and beer tastings
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...