Wellington waterfront walk tour
Take a self-guided walk tour of rainbow sites around Welllington's waterfront - PrideNZ.com have created a walk map and audio guide that can be downloaded, plus an alternative interactive Google map, to step through each location. The audio includes people talking about historic events they were part of at various locations.
Most of the walk is on the flat using accessible public footpaths.
Ivan Coyote performance
Sunday 14 May, 7:30 - 8:30pm @ Meow, 9 Edward St
Ivan Coyote is an electric performer and gifted writer and storyteller from Canada. Their stories explore gender, identity and family and their books include One In Every Crowd, Gender Failure and Tomboy Survival Guide. In Wellington for one-night only, Ivan gives a live performance followed by a discussion of their life and work ... more on facebook. Tickets available at eventfinda
ILGA World Conference - Wellington 2018
ILGA - the International Lesbian and Gay Association - are holding their 2018 World Conference in Wellington on 22-26 October.
Bookmark the Conference website www.wellington2018.nz where you can pre-register. And prepare for a big year of organising, hosting, and welcoming delegates from around the world.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
Follow news of the latest audio files of interviews and events added to PrideNZ on their facebook page
Homosexual Law Reform
pridenz.com has an important archive of interviews (audio and transcripts) with the people who were there during the campaign. Plus photos and videos from the time - the public meetings, the demos ... it's our queer history 101!
'20 years out!' Homosexual law reform in New Zealand
To mark the 20th anniversary of homosexual law reform in New Zealand, Radio NZ added rare audio recordings to its website. The rich assortment of audio was drawn from 20 years out!, a Radio NZ documentary created by Gareth Watkins and broadcast on National Radio on 9 July 2006, the 20th anniversary of the final vote. It was broadcast again on July 12 2016.
Much of the protest and rally sound was originally recorded for Access Radio programmes made by the Gay Broadcasting Collective (Gay BC) and had never before been heard nationally. There are also reflections from gay men who faced personal discrimination during the heated debate, as well as interviews with lesbians after the passage of the Bill.
Listen to the audio archive at www.radionz.co.nz/national/documentaries/20yearsout
Same Same But Different audio
Audio from the Same Same But Different LGBTQI writers festival, held in Auckland 12-14 February 2016, is being loaded to the PrideNZ.com website. The files are be uploaded as they are processed.
Queer History in the Making audio
Queer History in the Making, a community show-and-tell event
organised by the Lesbian and Gay Archives of New Zealand was held at the National
Library of New Zealand, Wellington on 12 September 2015.
Audio from the Queer History panel discussion and from the open mic sessions is available at PrideNZ.com.
There are also many audio files, photographs, etc. from the Homosexual Law reform campaign in 1986.
The Glamaphones Choir
The Glamaphones are Wellington's gay, lesbian, and transgender community-based choir. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. Visit their facebook page for more info.
Rainbow Team Wellington
Rainbow Team Wellington and Proud to Play are organising the Rainbow Sports & Cutlure Weekend in Wellington on Friday 27 - Sunday 29 January 2017
Rainbow Team Wellington are trying to build up their list of queer sports teams and clubs in Wellington on their new website - check the Sports & Recreation page on their website, and contact them if your team or club isn't listed!
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Didderent Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Welly Queer Badminton - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Hot Shot Tennis - a social tennis club for Wellington's LGBTI community but open to all.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Yoshinkan Kendo Club – Hutt - taught by Liz Dutton and Sue Lytollis
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook
Same sex dancing classes
Come and have fun and Dance on Sunday Nights!
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7.00 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8.10 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS website www.danss.org.nz for more information, or keep up to date on their facebook page.
Guerilla Gay Bar
A fun monthly meetup for all our LGBTTQQIAAP folks in the Wellington area,
in which we'll take over a local "straight" bar. Flashmob style. Location
announced the Friday of the event. Wear something red for visibility (or just
bring your fabulous self)!
Follow on facebook to find out when and where.
facebook and other social media groups
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Faith Communities United in Love
- Gay Wellington
- GLBT New Zealand Hot Topics
- GLBT Young Adults NZ
- UniQ Victoria - group for queer students at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Lost Gay Wellington
- NZDF Overwatch - an organisation of Regular, Reserve and Civilian members of the New Zealand Defence Force who are GLBTI their friends, family and allies
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Rainbow Teachers NZ
- Social Fruits a Wellington 18+ Queer Social Group
- also Fresh Fruit - LGBTQ meetups - a web-based (meetup.com) group open to LGBTQ community members in the Wellington region
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...