ILGA World Conference 2019
18-22 March 2019, in Wellington
The International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA) is holding
their next confenence in Wellington! Hosts are the Intersex Trust Aotearoa New Zealand,
Tīwhanawhana Trust and RainbowYOUTH. Visit the Conference website.
Registrations are now open - early-bird rates apply until 1 December.
Friends of LAGANZ end-of-year celebration
Wednesday 28 Nov, noon @ National Library Ground Floor
Kevin Haunui, Chair of LAGANZ, invites Friends, volunteers and community members to join the Trustees and curators and special guests to celebrate some of this years' achievements and milestones at the Archives and the National Library.
- New agreement between LAGANZ and the Alexander Turnbull Library
- Launch of the National Library Queer History Research Guide
- Highlighting the contributions of our volunteers this year
There will also be a display of some of the items added to the collections this year.
Light refreshments: juice, water, tea and coffee provided. Bring your own lunch
if you wish.
RSVP not essential, but is helpful for planning catering, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities.
The next event:
- End of year dinner - 1 December @ Phu Thai Lana Thai Restaurant - booking essential
- RW drinks - 7 December @ fringe bar, Allen St
Hutt Valley Rainbows
A social group based in the Hutt Valley. They usually meet on the second weekend of the month. Find more details via facebook.
Vinegar Hill rainbow camping
Vinegar Hill (near Marton) has been a popular camping spot since 1977 for Gay and Lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period in the height of summer. It's a party place ... with a quieter zone for the families with kids. Regular events include Queens Tie Party, Boys vs Girls Softball, Fashion in the Field to name a few. Campers decorate their campsites, and it's a whole lot of fun. Join the facebook group to find out more.
LGBTI history walk tours
Red Tour Sunday 6 January 1pm - 2:30pm
The walk starts at Pukeahu Park (meet at the bottom of the steps to the war
memorial), Tory Street, and ends at St Peter's church, Willis Street after visiting
historical sites on Tory, Vivian, Cuba and Willis Streets; duration 90 mins.
- Early female impersonators
- The Salvation Army and homosexual law reform
- Community icons giving back
- LGBTI social meeting places
- Infamous local hate crimes
- A landmark church service on homosexuality
More info on the facebook event page.
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage.
The December event is the 30th annual NZ AIDs Memorial Quilt - a visit to the quilt at Te Pap. Numbers are limited and it is already oversubscribed. More information on the facebook event page
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city's rich LGBTI rainbow heritage.
OUTSpoken is a Toastmasters club based in Wellington which focuses on developing leadership and communication skills among the wider rainbow community. Find more details on their facebook page
Brackets puts on queer performance events at BATS in Wellington - a monthly smorgasbord of queer entertainment - everything from plays to podcasts to poetry slams. If it's queer, they love it. More on facebook
School's Out provides a safe, inclusive, social and support space for Queer* and
questioning youth in the Wellington region.
Visit their facebook page for more info.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
Audio from Launch of the ILGA World Conference 2019
The event was held at the National Library of New Zealand on 24 August 2018 and PrideNZ had the audio online the next day.
Has alcohol become a problem in your life?
Wellington has a new LGBTQIA+ AA meeting. Phew, that's a heap of acronyms. Meetings to be held on Mondays at 6:30pm at St.Andrews on the Terrace.
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Hot Shot Tennis - a social tennis club for Wellington's LGBTI community but open to all.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Yoshinkan Kendo Club – Hutt - taught by Liz Dutton and Sue Lytollis
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook
Same sex dancing classes
Come and have fun and Dance on Sunday Nights!
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7.00 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8.10 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS website www.danss.org.nz for more information, or keep up to date on their facebook page.
facebook and other social media groups
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Faith Communities United in Love
- Gay Wellington
- GLBT New Zealand Hot Topics
- GLBT Young Adults NZ
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Rainbow Teachers NZ
- Social Fruits a Wellington 18+ Queer Social Group
- Fresh Fruits - a free MeetUp social group open to all members of the rainbow community. They have regular city walks and social events such as pot luck dinners, board game afternoons and beer tastings
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...