Queer & Trans* drawing class
Join Sian Torrington in an expressive drawing class! It’s about finding ways to be
in our body and let it speak through drawing. It’s about representing ourselves. It’s
about seeing ourselves, and being ourselves.
This is a six week class commencing Wednesday 20 September, at Toi Poneke Arts Centre, 51-69 Abel Smith St. Cost $170 - some places free courtesy Rainbow Wellington. More on facebook.
Brackets puts on queer performance events at BATS in Wellington. From plays to podcasts to
poetry slams - if it's queer, they love it. More on facebook.
Audio from the August event Matiu Soames Island Discs is available on the Brackets website.
Next event: Saturday 23 Sept, 9pm @ BATs
Looking for something non-political to do on election night? The September show has got you covered. They're going all the way back to 1983 with a table read of Dancing, by Renée
Welcome - Queer Party
Friday 6 Oct, 9pm - 2am @ The Fat Angel upstairs at Eva Beva, cnr of Dixon & Eva Sts
Follow on facebook.
LGBTI history walk tours
Red tour: 1pm, Sunday 1 October
Meet at Pukeahu National War Memorial Park - the bottom of the steps, cnr Buckle and Tory Streets. A visit to important GLBTI historical sites in Tory Street, Vivian Street, Cuba Street and Willis Street ... more information on the Walk Tours NZ webpage or the facebook event page.
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage. They have been leading monthly walks - check their website for the next one.
Rainbow in the Village - Paekakariki Pride Festival
20 - 22 October ... Labour Weekend
Vinyl & Proud warmly invite us to the first ever queer pride festival in Paekakariki over Labour Weekend. Starting with a meet and mingle at Finn's Bar on Friday, the world's shortest Pride Parade on Saturday, leading into ... a fabulous dance with entertainment in St Peters Hall. All the details are on the event facebook page - and book yopur tickets for the dance as numbers will be limited!
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treause trove with more being added regularly.
2017 Rainbow Election Forum
On 22 August 2017 Rainbow Wellington hosted a rainbow election forum at St Andrew's on the Terrace in Wellington. Nine representatives from a diverse range of political parties attended. They spoke about their parties' past achievements, their current policies and answered questions from the audience. Listen to the recording of the event on prideNZ.com.
Homosexual Law Reform
prideNZ.com has an important archive of interviews (audio and transcripts) with the people who were there during the campaign. Plus photos and videos from the time - the public meetings, the demos ... it's our queer history 101!
'20 years out!' Homosexual law reform in New Zealand
To mark the 20th anniversary of homosexual law reform in New Zealand, Radio NZ added rare audio recordings to its website. The rich assortment of audio was drawn from 20 years out!, a Radio NZ documentary created by Gareth Watkins and broadcast on National Radio on 9 July 2006, the 20th anniversary of the final vote. It was broadcast again on July 12 2016.
Much of the protest and rally sound was originally recorded for Access Radio programmes made by the Gay Broadcasting Collective (Gay BC) and had never before been heard nationally. There are also reflections from gay men who faced personal discrimination during the heated debate, as well as interviews with lesbians after the passage of the Bill.
Listen to the audio archive at www.radionz.co.nz/national/documentaries/20yearsout
The Glamaphones Choir
The Glamaphones are Wellington's gay, lesbian, and transgender community-based choir. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. Visit their facebook page for more info.
Has alcohol become a problem in your life?
Wellington has a new LGBTQIA+ AA meeting. Phew, that's a heap of acronyms. Meetings to be held on Mondays at 6:30pm at St.Andrews on the Terrace.
Rainbow Team Wellington
Rainbow Team Wellington are trying to build up their list of queer sports teams and clubs in Wellington on their new website - check the Sports & Recreation page on their website, and contact them if your team or club isn't listed!
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Didderent Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Welly Queer Badminton - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Hot Shot Tennis - a social tennis club for Wellington's LGBTI community but open to all.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Yoshinkan Kendo Club – Hutt - taught by Liz Dutton and Sue Lytollis
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook
Same sex dancing classes
Come and have fun and Dance on Sunday Nights!
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7.00 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8.10 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS website www.danss.org.nz for more information, or keep up to date on their facebook page.
facebook and other social media groups
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Faith Communities United in Love
- Gay Wellington
- GLBT New Zealand Hot Topics
- GLBT Young Adults NZ
- UniQ Victoria - group for queer students at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Lost Gay Wellington
- NZDF Overwatch - an organisation of Regular, Reserve and Civilian members of the New Zealand Defence Force who are GLBTI their friends, family and allies
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Rainbow Teachers NZ
- Social Fruits a Wellington 18+ Queer Social Group
- also Fresh Fruit - LGBTQ meetups - a web-based (meetup.com) group open to LGBTQ community members in the Wellington region
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...