Sat 3 August 12:30-3:30, Portofino, 33 Customhouse Quay
A fun and lively fundraiser for OuterSpaces - Te Kete o Te Kāhui - the umbrella group
for Naming NZ, School's Out, Tranzform. Two previous events raised a total of $7,000 to
help support their work.
Meals include salads and breads for the table and a choice of Italian main dishes. Desserts and all drinks can be bought as extras and paid for on the day.
And there are raffles ... donate a prize!
Tickets are $35 for an adult meal, and $15 per child aged 15 and under. Just 100 tickets available so get yours soon - email Jac ... more info on the facebook event page ... selling fast!
OUTSpoken is a Toastmasters club based in Wellington which focuses on developing leadership and communication skills among the wider rainbow community. Find more details on their facebook page
Next: Sunday 28 July 5-8pm @ S&Ms 176 Cuba St ... more on the facebook event page
LGBTI history walk tours
Yellow: LGBTI rainbow walk tour through Wellington
Sunday 4 August 1pm - 2:30pm
This tour highlights historic and contemporary trans and non-binary people and communities related to Wellington. Learn about Amy Bock, Aunty Dana's Op Shop, Bella Simpson, Carmen Rupe, Chrissy Witoko, Dana de Milo, Dr von Dannevill, Eugunia Falleni, Gender Minorities Aotearoa, Georgina Beyer, Shelley Te Waiariki Howard and Zena Campbell.
Starts: Outside Thistle Hall, 293 Cuba Street
Ends: Civic Square
latest info on the facebook event page.
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage.
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities.
The next event:
- RW drinks Friday 9 August at Fringe Bar, 26-32 Allen St
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
Check out the awesome historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
Hutt Valley Rainbows
A social group based in the Hutt Valley. They usually meet on the second weekend of the month. Join the facebook group for more information.
In the Rainbow
There’s a brand new series just droped on TVNZ OnDemand ...
In the Rainbow tells the colourful coming of age stories of LGBTQ+ youth in New Zealand. Based on true stories, each episode brings a colour of the rainbow to life. Follow a dramatic and emotional incident in the life of one of the young residents of Te Aho Bay, as they navigate their lives and figure out how to stand out when you can’t fit in. More info on intherainbow.co. Listen to Rose McMahon (series creator) and Holly McMahon (writer) talk about the series on PrideNZ.com.
The Glamaphones Choir
The Glamaphones are Wellington's all-inclusive rainbow choir based at St Andrews on the Terrace. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. Visit their facebook page for more info.
Same sex dancing classes
Come and have fun and Dance on Sunday Nights!
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7.00 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8.10 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS facebook page for more information.
School's Out provides a safe, inclusive, social and support space for Queer* and
questioning youth in the Wellington region.
Visit their facebook page for more info.
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook
Queer bars and venues
Ivy Bar and Cabaret
James Smiths Basement, 49 Cuba Street - www.ivybar.co.nz
S&M's - Scotty and Mal's Cocktail and Lounge Bar
176 Cuba Street - www.scottyandmals.co.nz.
facebook and other social media groups
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Gay Wellington
- Tīwhanawhana is a takatāpui community group in Wellington that welcomes people of all diverse sexualities and gender. The kaupapa of Tīwhanawhana is primarily for takatāpui: building community, telling our stories and leaving legacies.
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Fresh Fruits - a free MeetUp social group open to all members of the rainbow community. They have regular city walks and social events such as pot luck dinners, board game afternoons and beer tastings
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...