The Glamaphones Choir
Next concert: Homegrown Aotearoa New Zealand
Sat 25th Nov 8pm - St Andrew's on the Terrace Wellington
Sun 26th Nov 3pm - St Peter's Village Hall Paekakariki
The Glamaphones are Wellington's gay, lesbian, and transgender community-based choir. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. Visit their facebook page or website for more info.
Portraits of LaQuisha
Sat 2 December, 9 - 10pm @ BATS Theatre, Kent Terrace
The final event for 2017 is another Brackets original. Inspired by the portrait she sat for last year, this event will see three visual artists creating portraits of LaQuisha in one hour, while LaQuisha talks to them about their art, and about representations of non-binary bodies ... more on the facebook event page
Brackets puts on queer performance events at BATS in Wellington - a monthly smorgasbord of queer entertainment - everything from plays to podcasts to poetry slams. If it's queer, they love it.
Audio from the August event Matiu Soames Island Discs is available on the Brackets website.
Welcome - Queer Party
Sat 9 December, 10pm - 2am @ The Fat Angel upstairs at Eva Beva, cnr of Dixon & Eva Sts
Follow on the facebook event page.
Vinegar Hill gay camping
Vinegar Hill (near Marton) has been a popular camping spot since 1977 for Gay and Lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period in the height of summer. It's a party place ... with a quieter zone for the families with kids. Regular events include Queens Tie Party, Boys vs Girls Softball, Fashion in the Field to name a few. Campers decorate their campsites, and it's a whole lot of fun.
Join the facebook group to find out more.
Wellington Pride Festival 2018
24 February - 10 March 2018
- Out in the Park - the Fair on Saturday 24 February
- Out in the Park Afterparty Saturday 24 February
- Youth Ball Saturday 3 March
There will also be lots of other events organised by local queer groups and individuals - contact the organisers if you want to be a part of the Festival and register your event by 1 December
Fundraising is under way to pay for our fun so dig deep - there is a givealittle page where you can make a donation.
Movie fundraiser: Murder on the Orient Express
Wednesday 6 Dec, 5:45pm @ Light House Cuba
More info on the facebook event page
Wellington International Pride Parade 2018
- Parade Saturday 10 March starting 6pm in Tennyson St and proceeding to the waterfront
- WIPP Go Tribal Party Saturday 10 March 8:30pm - 3am @ Mac's Brewery Function Centre
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treause trove with more being added regularly.
Homosexual Law Reform
prideNZ.com has an important archive of interviews (audio and transcripts) with the people who were there during the campaign. Plus photos and videos from the time - the public meetings, the demos ... it's our queer history 101!
'20 years out!' Homosexual law reform in New Zealand
To mark the 20th anniversary of homosexual law reform in New Zealand, Radio NZ added rare audio recordings to its website. The rich assortment of audio was drawn from 20 years out!, a Radio NZ documentary created by Gareth Watkins and broadcast on National Radio on 9 July 2006, the 20th anniversary of the final vote. It was broadcast again on July 12 2016.
Much of the protest and rally sound was originally recorded for Access Radio programmes made by the Gay Broadcasting Collective (Gay BC) and had never before been heard nationally. There are also reflections from gay men who faced personal discrimination during the heated debate, as well as interviews with lesbians after the passage of the Bill.
Listen to the audio archive at www.radionz.co.nz/national/documentaries/20yearsout
LGBTI history walk tours
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage. They have been leading monthly walks - check their website for the next one.
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities.
The next events are:
- RW drinks - Friday 8 December @ Fringe Bar, Allen St
- Rainbow Wellington End of Year Dinner - Sat 9 December @ The Big Elephant Thai Restaurant, 58 Cambridge Terrace
Check the Rainbow Wellington events page for more information, especially the dinner.
Has alcohol become a problem in your life?
Wellington has a new LGBTQIA+ AA meeting. Phew, that's a heap of acronyms. Meetings to be held on Mondays at 6:30pm at St.Andrews on the Terrace.
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Didderent Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Welly Queer Badminton - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Hot Shot Tennis - a social tennis club for Wellington's LGBTI community but open to all.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Yoshinkan Kendo Club – Hutt - taught by Liz Dutton and Sue Lytollis
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook
Same sex dancing classes
Come and have fun and Dance on Sunday Nights!
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7.00 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8.10 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS website www.danss.org.nz for more information, or keep up to date on their facebook page.
facebook and other social media groups
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Faith Communities United in Love
- Gay Wellington
- GLBT New Zealand Hot Topics
- GLBT Young Adults NZ
- UniQ Victoria and UniQ Massey Wellington - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- NZDF Overwatch - an organisation of Regular, Reserve and Civilian members of the New Zealand Defence Force who are GLBTI their friends, family and allies
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Rainbow Teachers NZ
- Social Fruits a Wellington 18+ Queer Social Group
- also Fresh Fruit - LGBTQ meetups - a web-based (meetup.com) group open to LGBTQ community members in the Wellington region
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...