Polari - Fantabulosa!
Polari is a queer inclusive cocktail party held at a different style-y bar in Wellington,
usually on a Friday, sometimes late in the month.
Keep an eye on the facebook page for more info.
- Next: Friday 23rd February 5pm @ Mean Doses, level 1, 66 Tory St.
- Special Pride edition Polari Friday 15th March 5pm @ downstairs at Leroy's Bar, Rahzoo, Plimmers Steps - facebook event page
Wellington Racqueteers Wāhine night
Friday 1st March 2024 6pm @ Badminton Wellington Centre, 1 Ruahine St., Hataitai
Calling all queer, lesbian, bi women, transwomen, non-binary and non-male identifying people! There is now a social badminton night designed for you. The cost is $10 plus $5 racquet hire if necessary. Register to attend by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or check out their Facebook group Wellington Racqueteers. This event is held the first Friday of the month.
LILAC - Wellington's Lesbian Library
LILAC is a lending library for lesbians and queer women with a great selection
of books, DVDs and magazines. It is at level 2, 187 Willis Street (flat access
from the street, lift).
More info on the LILAC website at lilac.lesbian.net.nz - try the TinyCat searchable catalogue.
LILAC is open:
- Wednesdays 5.30-7.30 pm
- Thursdays 11 am-2 pm
- Saturdays 11 am-2 pm
Open day at LILAC
LILAC is holding an Open Day on Saturday 2nd March 11am-2pm as part of the Wellington Pride Festival. There will be a display of historical Wellington lesbian photos to mark LILAC's 30th anniversary in 2024.
This is a good opportunity for women who are interested in joining LILAC to drop in, have a look around and chat with collective members. Light refreshments will be available.
LILAC Book Group
- Wednesday 13th March, 6 - 7:30 pm
- featuring books by Renée ... more info on the Book Group's webpage
LILAC Book Group meets on the second Wednesday of the month (except January) in the LILAC Lounge level 2, 187 Willis Street (flat access from the street, lift). Tea and coffee are available and there may be bikkies. Come and join us to share a relaxing evening (re)discovering a range of lesbian literature.
Lesbian Overland and Café Club
The Lesbian Overland and Café Club is a social walking group for lesbians and their women friends. Young or not so young, we'd love you to join us. We choose walks from the Wellington region, alternating between Kapiti, Wellington, the Hutt Valley and sometimes the Wairarapa, starting and often finishing in a local café ... more ▶
Sunday 10th March: Zealandia
A ramble in Zealandia, Wellington's amazing wildlife sanctuary. This season's chicks will have fledged and be learning their adult songs, tuatara, geckos and skinks may be out sunning themselves, takahē scratching around, and we can learn about recent arrivals in the sanctuary. Plus a visit to the Overlanders seat in Zealandia.
Maximum admission charges will be $24 (adult) or $21.50 (concession), and we’re hoping to reduce that as Sanctuary members can take in up to 5 friends for half price. So Zealandia members please bring your membership card and help spread the love!
Bring lunch and drink in your backpack, your hiking pole if you have one, and wear sturdy sneakers. Moderate fitness required as there be hills. No dogs!
Meet in the Zealandia carpark (end of Waiapu Road) near the entrance at 10:30am
Getting there: Catch the no. 2 Karori bus - 9.49am or 10:01am Courtenay Place, 9:59/10:13 Lampton
Quay north end. Get off at the first stop after the tunnel, walk back to Waiapu Rd, and
follow the Zealandia signs down to the end of the road.
Car pooling from the railway station will be available by prior arrangement with the trip leader (Ellen 027 2094004), or if the bus is cancelled.
This walk will be part of the Wellington Pride Festival 2024
Occasional drinks & dinner at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki
Held (usually) on the third Friday of the month at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki.
Next: Friday 15th March from 5.30 pm
Please phone Finns and add your [first] name to Sally’s table 04 292 8081 or email email@example.com and book a seat at Sally's table.
Femmes & Thems comedy
Friday 22th April 8 pm @ The Fringe Bar
A fine line-up of women, non-binary, & gender non-conforming funny folk.
Featuring the best non-male performers on the comedy scene joining forces to
bring the funnies to your Friday nights!
Different line-up every month, something for everyone, produced by Wellington whirlwind woman Creatif Kate.
More on eventfinda - tix without dinner $25 plus fee.
Kāpiti lesbians dining out
Potlucks are held on the Kāpiti Coast, usually on the first Saturday of the month. Lesbians from any area is welcome to attend - bring a mains or dessert to share, beverage of your choice. Singles and couples are welcome, as are visiting lesbians. The dates and venues are advertised via Leonie's email list.
Planning a trip to New Zealand or an outdoor adventure
Social media groups
- lgbtqi+ Out & About Wellington for letting non-straight women know what's on in Wellington and surrounds
- Wellington Rainbow Families
- Aotearoa New Zealand Queer Herstories
- Aotearoa NZ Lesbians Social Group - lots of chat ...
- LEZconnect NZ - a safe space for lesbians to share experiences, ask for advice and insight, chat and meet new people
- Rainbow Focus - social group organising activities (closed group - join to see content).
- Hutt/Wellington social group for lesbian & bisexual women
- Lemon Tea Wellington lesbian, bi & mtf trans dining and social group
- Stitch and Butch - a group of fun supportive queer folk who enjoy being crafty with yarn (while yarning craftily)
- Queer whānau building Pōneke - A Wellington based group for queer whānau of every kind. Have kids, dream of a family, dedicated Aunty, straight parents with queer kids and more
- Rainbow families NZ - a friendly forum for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents, prospective parents, and their families
- plus a list of LGBTQ groups on our Rainbow page