Lesbian Herstory month at LILAC
October is Lesbian Herstory month at LILAC and there a number of interesting events planned:
- Wed 6th October: Wellington's historic lesbian events and sites
- Wed 13 October: Circle magazine and early lesbian publishing
- Wed. 20 October: LILAC Book Group relaunch
- Wed 27 October: Lesbian representation in sport
- Hear from lesbians who have been active and out in the sports field talk about their battles and triumphs
Visit the LILAC events webpage for more information and to RSVP. Numbers at each event will be limited if we are still under Level 2.
LILAC - Wellington's Lesbian Library
LILAC is open after lockdown and is operating under Delta Level 2 protocols just like public libraries.
LILAC is a lending library for lesbians and queer women with a great selection of books, DVDs and magazines. It is at 187 Willis Street, 2nd floor (flat access from the street, lift). More info on the LILAC website at lilac.lesbian.net.nz including an online catalogue.
LILAC is open:
- Wednesdays 5.30-7.30 pm
- Thursdays 11 am-2 pm
- Saturdays 11 am-2 pm
LILAC has a new TinyCat searchable catalogue - try it to see what books are available.
Lesbian Tattoos exhibition
The current exhibition at LILAC is photographs of local lesbians' tattoos with brief comments from the women saying what it meant to them when they first had their tattoos done, what it means to them now, how they have changed since getting their tattoos, what they symbolise ... more on the LILAC events page. Visit LILAC soon to view the exhibition.
Tuesdays at the LILAC Lounge is paused until later in the year
Lesbian Overland and Café Club
The Lesbian Overland and Café Club is a social walking group for lesbians and their women friends. Young or not so young, we'd love you to join us. We choose walks from the Wellington region, alternating between Kapiti, Wellington, the Hutt Valley and sometimes the Wairarapa, starting and often finishing in a local café ... more ▶
Sunday 14 November: Whareroa Farm, Paekākāriki
Whareroa Farm is a reserve just north of Paekākāriki township, across SH1 from Queen Elizabeth Park. We have secured our very own local lesbian guide for 'a highlights of Wharaeroa' walk. About a 3-4 hour walk with a lunch break!
We will meet for coffee at the Perching Parrot Café in Paekākāriki about 10ish, and proceed to the park at 10.30.
Getting there: Access to the park from the south: take the
Mackay's Crossing exit to Queen Elizabeth Park, approximately 3.5km north of Paekākāriki.
Then turn right through the underpass to Whareroa Park; drive into the car park by the
information building. If coming from the North, turn off the expressway at the Mackay's
Crossing exit. Meet at the car park at 10:45.
Trip leader Lainey 027 3039006 - contact her for car pooling from Wellington. Contact Ellen 027 2094004 for car pooling from Lower Hutt.
Wear/carry clothing appropriate for the weather (including a parka), and suitable footwear. Bring lunch and drink in your backpack.
Occasional drinks & dinner at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki
Usually held on the third Friday of the month at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki.
Next: Friday 19 November from 5.30 pm.
Please phone Finns and add you name to Sally’s table 04 292 8081 or email email@example.com and book a seat at Sally's table by Thursday if you intend staying for dinner. It is a busy place and helps the staff if they can reserve the right sized table.
Polari - Fantabulosa!
Polari has kicked off a new start - all rainbows welcome. It is a queer inclusive cocktail party held at a different style-y bar in Wellington, usually on a Friday, sometimes late in the month. Keep an eye on the facebook page for more info.
Blondini's drinks at Scotty & Mal's
A relaxing gathering usually held every second and fourth Friday of the month, at Scotty and Mal’s, 176 Cuba St from 5.30. Just come along and look for a likely looking group of women and join us. Follow on facebook.
Next: when we are back at level 1
Kāpiti lesbians dining out
Once we are back at level 1 ...
Potlucks are held on the Kāpiti Coast, usually on the first Saturday of the month. Lesbians from any area is welcome to attend - bring a mains or dessert to share, beverage of your choice. Singles and couples are welcome, as are visiting lesbians. The dates and venues are advertised via Leonie's email list.
Les Ukes - ukelele lessons
Social media groups
Suddenly the place to be ...
- lgbtqi+ Out & About Wellington for letting non-straight women know what's on in Wellington and surrounds
- Wellington Rainbow Families
- Aotearoa New Zealand Queer Herstories
- NZ Lesbians Social Group - lots of chat ...
- LEZconnect NZ - a safe space for lesbians to share experiences, ask for advice and insight, chat and meet new people
- Rainbow To Do - social group organising activities (closed group - join to see content).
- Hutt/Wellington social group for lesbian & bisexual women
- Lemon Tea Wellington lesbian, bi & mtf trans dining and social group
- Stitch and Butch - A group of fun supportive queer folk who enjoy being crafty with yarn (while yarning craftily)
- Queer whānau building Pōneke - A Wellington based group for queer whānau of every kind. Have kids, dream of a family, dedicated Aunty, straight parents with queer kids and more
- Rainbow families NZ - a friendly forum for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents, prospective parents, and their families
- plus a list of LGBTQ groups on our Rainbow page