What's on in Lesbian Wellington
Saturday 1st April, 10.30am-3pm
Thistle Hall (293 Cuba St.)
LILAC are holding a Fair, as a fund raiser for LILAC and also an opportunity for the community to gather and socialise. Stalls will have second-hand books for sale, arts and crafts, bric a brac, food, raffles, succulents and more. Lesbian and Women’s groups are also hosting information stalls.
Please bring CASH
This event is open to the public, so please come along and support us.
Download the Fair poster - share the facebook event page.
LILAC Library will be closed on Saturday 1st April
Lesbian Overland and Café Club
The Lesbian Overland and Café Club is a social walking group for lesbians and their women friends. Young or not so young, we'd love you to join us. We choose walks from the Wellington region, alternating between Kapiti, Wellington, the Hutt Valley and sometimes the Wairarapa, starting and often finishing in a local café ... more ▶
Sunday 16th April: Waikanae river walk
Meet at the front of the Wellington Railway station at 9am to car pool
to Waikanae, or catch the 9:14 train.
We will meet opposite the Waikanae railway station about 10:20am - the 9:14 am train from Wellington arrives at 10:14 am. [Buses may replace trains from Wellington - we'll keep an eye on this.]
We walk from the station to the river, follow it downstream to the lower footbridge, Otaihanga Park and the beach. Then back upstream on the south bank to complete the loop, and to Sylvia's house for afternoon tea. An easy flat walk - boots not needed ... unless it's muddy.
Bring lunch or snacks and water. Dress for the weather.
Txt Syliva 021 744485 if you are coming, or Ellen 027 2094004 for car share from Lower Hutt
LILAC - Wellington's Lesbian Library
LILAC is a lending library for lesbians and queer women with a great selection
of books, DVDs and magazines. It is at level 2, 187 Willis Street (flat access
from the street, lift).
More info on the LILAC website at lilac.lesbian.net.nz - try the TinyCat searchable catalogue.
LILAC is open:
- Wednesdays 5.30-7.30 pm
- Thursdays 11 am-2 pm
- Saturdays 11 am-2 pm
LILAC Book Group
The LILAC Book Group meets on the second Wednesday of the month in the LILAC Library. Tea and coffee are available and there may be bikkies. Come and join us to share a relaxing evening (re)discovering a range of lesbian literature.
- Wednesday 12 April, 6:15 - 7:30 pm
- featuring books by and about sporty dykes ... more info on the Book Group's webpage
Lesbians do lunch @ LILAC
Thursday 19th April 11am-2pm
This is a new event on LILAC's monthly calendar - the Third Thursday of the month. Drop in to the LILAC Lounge at 187 Willis St. with your lunch for a natter - tea and coffee provided.
Femmes & Thems comedy
Friday 21th April 8 pm @ The Fringe Bar
A fine line-up of women, non-binary, & gender non-conforming funny folk.
Featuring the best non-male performers on the comedy scene joining forces to
bring the funnies to your Friday nights!
Produced by Wellington whirlwind producer Creatif Kate.
More on eventfinda - tix without dinner $25 plus fee. Follow on facebook
Polari - Fantabulosa!
Polari is a queer inclusive cocktail party held at a different style-y bar in Wellington, usually on a Friday, sometimes late in the month. Keep an eye on the facebook page for more info.
Occasional drinks & dinner at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki
Held (usually) on the third Friday of the month at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki.
Next: Friday 21st April from 5.30 pm
Please phone Finns and add your [first] name to Sally’s table 04 292 8081 or email email@example.com and book a seat at Sally's table.
The Sapphic Affair Ball
Saturday 3rd June 7pm @ Naumi Studio Hotel, 213 Cuba Street
A ball for sapphic-minded people! Held in the queer capital of the world, Wellington, there aren't many other events like this! The ball is to be held in June 2023, and the theme is the authentic self! There are only 170 tickets available so get in quick!
Tickets $83.50 (incl. fee) on eventfinda. Follow on facebook
Lads Lads Lads - a Drag King Show
Friday 14th July 8 pm @ The Fringe Bar
Are you ready for a boisterous band of bros? A hefty helping of handsome heirs?!
A smorgasbord of sweaty studs?!
Then grab the gang and head down to Fringe Bar on March 25th for Lads Lads Lads: A Drag King Show, and prepare yourselves for the most delightful, most glittery, most wholesome masculinity you ever did see (there will be no hazing here!) Tickets from $20. More on facebook.
Kāpiti lesbians dining out
Potlucks are held on the Kāpiti Coast, usually on the first Saturday of the month. Lesbians from any area is welcome to attend - bring a mains or dessert to share, beverage of your choice. Singles and couples are welcome, as are visiting lesbians. The dates and venues are advertised via Leonie's email list.
LILAC has a Kāpiti service - bringing books, DVDs etc plus membership forms - to the monthly dinners so that women can join the library and borrow. Check the LILAC website for more information.
Planning a trip to New Zealand or an outdoor adventure
- Sidetracks women - guided outdoors adventures.
- Women's Adventures NZ - more outdoors adventures.
- Women Travel New Zealand - essential information for the woman traveller visiting New Zealand.
- New Zealand Awaits - small group trips and bespoke adventures.
Social media groups
- lgbtqi+ Out & About Wellington for letting non-straight women know what's on in Wellington and surrounds
- Wellington Rainbow Families
- Aotearoa New Zealand Queer Herstories
- NZ Lesbians Social Group - lots of chat ...
- LEZconnect NZ - a safe space for lesbians to share experiences, ask for advice and insight, chat and meet new people
- Rainbow Focus - social group organising activities (closed group - join to see content).
- Hutt/Wellington social group for lesbian & bisexual women
- Lemon Tea Wellington lesbian, bi & mtf trans dining and social group
- Stitch and Butch - a group of fun supportive queer folk who enjoy being crafty with yarn (while yarning craftily)
- Queer whānau building Pōneke - A Wellington based group for queer whānau of every kind. Have kids, dream of a family, dedicated Aunty, straight parents with queer kids and more
- Rainbow families NZ - a friendly forum for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents, prospective parents, and their families
- plus a list of LGBTQ groups on our Rainbow page