Lesbian Overland and Café Club
The Lesbian Overland and Café Club is a social walking group for lesbians and their women friends. Young or not so young, we'd love you to join us. We choose walks from the Wellington region, alternating between Kapiti, Wellington, the Hutt Valley and sometimes the Wairarapa, starting and often finishing in a local café ... more ▶
Next: Sunday 10th December: Korokoro stream track
We will assemble at the Cornish Street entrance to the Belmont Regional Park at 10.30 am.
The track is at the south end of the Park, west of Petone - see the map on the Overlanders page. The track follows an old steel pipeline
from the Cornish Street entrance upstream through mature and regenerating bush to the Korokoro Dam.
Walking time ca. 3 hours there and back, with a break for lunch of course. It is an easy walk (the steeper bits have steps) and is somewhat sheltered from the weather.
Wear/carry clothing appropriate for the weather (including sunhat, parka ... whatever), and sturdy footwear. Bring lunch and drink in your backpack.
We will repair to La Bella Italia in Nevis St. for coffee after the walk.
- Catch the ~10am bus replacing train to Petone, or the no. 83 (Eastbourne) bus leaving Courtenay Place at 9:44, via Wellington station at 9:55.
- Driving from Wellington: exit SH2 left into Priests Ave (500m north of the overbridge at the Petone foreshore). Left into Pito-One Road and right into Cornish St. [The SH2-Cornish St intersection is now blocked off]
- Driving south on SH2: exit left into the Petone Station carpark, drive over the overbridge to Pito-One Road, then south to Cornish St.
Trip leader Ellen 027 2094004 - contact her if you wish to be met off a bus.
Occasional drinks & dinner at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki
Held (usually) on the third Friday of the month at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki.
Next: Friday 15th December from 5.30 pm
Please phone Finns and add your [first] name to Sally’s table 04 292 8081 or email email@example.com and book a seat at Sally's table.
LILAC - Wellington's Lesbian Library
LILAC is a lending library for lesbians and queer women with a great selection
of books, DVDs and magazines. It is at level 2, 187 Willis Street (flat access
from the street, lift).
More info on the LILAC website at lilac.lesbian.net.nz - try the TinyCat searchable catalogue.
LILAC is open:
- Wednesdays 5.30-7.30 pm
- Thursdays 11 am-2 pm
- Saturdays 11 am-2 pm
LILAC closes for 2022 on Saturday 17 December - so be in before 2pm for your holiday reading! The library will reopen on Thursday 12 January 2023 ... when you can replenish your holiday reading.
LILAC Book Group
LILAC Book Group after a winter break
- Wednesday 13th December, 6:00-7:30 pm
- featuring new titles in LILAC this year ... more info on the Book Group's webpage
LILAC Book Group meets on the second Wednesday of the month (except January) in the LILAC Lounge. Tea and coffee are available and there may be bikkies. Come and join us to share a relaxing evening (re)discovering a range of lesbian literature.
Polari - Fantabulosa!
Polari is a queer inclusive cocktail party held at a different style-y bar in Wellington, usually on a Friday, sometimes late in the month. Keep an eye on the facebook page for more info.
Wellington Racqueteers Wāhine night
Friday 2nd Februry 2024 6 pm @ Badminton Wellington Centre
Calling all queer, lesbian, bi women, transwomen, non-binary and non-male identifying people! There is now a social badminton night designed for you. The cost is $10 plus $5 racquet hire if necessary. Register to attend by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or check out their Facebook group Wellington Racqueteers. This event is held the first Friday of the month.
Kāpiti lesbians dining out
Potlucks are held on the Kāpiti Coast, usually on the first Saturday of the month. Lesbians from any area is welcome to attend - bring a mains or dessert to share, beverage of your choice. Singles and couples are welcome, as are visiting lesbians. The dates and venues are advertised via Leonie's email list.
SING! Community Choir
Founded & facilitated by Lesbian professional Singer & Actress, Anji Kreft,
SING! Community Choir is for Welly women who may have only ever sung in the shower!
They're welcoming & friendly & proof that it's possible to sound great & have a
giggle! No music manuscript to read, just audio recordings to listen to - so much easier
for learning songs! We sing nothing but classic Pop songs from the 1960s to today - from
Blondie to Carole King to Adele!
More info at singcommunitychoir.com.
Planning a trip to New Zealand or an outdoor adventure
Social media groups
- lgbtqi+ Out & About Wellington for letting non-straight women know what's on in Wellington and surrounds
- Wellington Rainbow Families
- Aotearoa New Zealand Queer Herstories
- Aotearoa NZ Lesbians Social Group - lots of chat ...
- LEZconnect NZ - a safe space for lesbians to share experiences, ask for advice and insight, chat and meet new people
- Rainbow Focus - social group organising activities (closed group - join to see content).
- Hutt/Wellington social group for lesbian & bisexual women
- Lemon Tea Wellington lesbian, bi & mtf trans dining and social group
- Stitch and Butch - a group of fun supportive queer folk who enjoy being crafty with yarn (while yarning craftily)
- Queer whānau building Pōneke - A Wellington based group for queer whānau of every kind. Have kids, dream of a family, dedicated Aunty, straight parents with queer kids and more
- Rainbow families NZ - a friendly forum for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents, prospective parents, and their families
- plus a list of LGBTQ groups on our Rainbow page