Tuesdays at the LILAC Lounge
LILAC open on Tuesday evenings from 6.30pm. The
LILAC Lounge will offer more social, and less book-ish activities. They're aiming for a simple,
and reasonably predictable monthly rotation. All lesbians welcome
Level 2, 187 Willis Street (there is a lift)
- 9 March: Creative - zine writing. Minimal publications, nibbles of something you're passionate about, or something quirky, just art, just words, anything that you can put onto a multiple of 4 pages. Sue will bring some A4 paper, and we have coloured pencils and pens. If you have a preferred medium, bring it along. But the essence of the zine is that it's small and ephemeral ... more
More info on the Tuesdays at the LILAC Lounge page
Blondini's drinks at Scotty & Mal's
A relaxing gathering usually held every second and fourth Friday of the month, at Scotty and Mal’s, 176 Cuba St from 5.30. Just come along and look for a likely looking group of women and join us. Follow on facebook.
Next: Friday 12 March
Lesbian Overland and Café Club
LOCC is the social walking group for vaguely active lesbians and slightly fitter women. Not a serious tramping group, but there is one "club" rule: walk some before retiring to a café ... more ▶
Sunday 14 March: Zealandia
A ramble in Zealandia, Wellington's amazing wildlife sanctuary. This season's
chicks have fledged and will be learning their adult songs, tuatara and lizards may be
out sunning themselves, and we can learn about recent arrivals in the sanctuary.
Plus a visit to the Overlanders seat in the sanctuary.
See the map of Zealandia on the City Council's website.
Maximum admission charges will be $22 (adult) or $19.50 (concession), and we’re hoping to reduce that as Sanctuary members can take in up to 5 friends in for half the adult price. So Sanctuary members please come with your membership card and help spread the love.
Bring lunch and drink in your backpack, your hiking pole if you have one, and wear sturdy sneakers. Moderate fitness required as there be hills. No dogs!
Meet in the Zealandia carpark (end of Waiapu Road) near
the entrance at 10 am
Getting there: Catch the 9.41am (or earlier) no.2 bus at the stop at the foot of Lampton Quay (west side, outside chemist shop). Get off at the first stop after the tunnel and follow the Zealandia signs down Waiapu Road.
Car pooling from the railway station may be available by prior arrangement with the trip leader (Ellen 027 2094004)
This walk will part of the Wellington Pride Festival 2021
LILAC - the Lesbian Library
LILAC is a lending library for lesbians and queer women with a great selection of books, DVDs and magazines. It is at 187 Willis Street, 2nd floor (flat access from the street, lift). More info on the LILAC website at lilac.lesbian.net.nz including an online catalogue.
LILAC is open:
- Wednesdays 5.30-7.30 pm
- Thursdays 11 am-2 pm
- Saturdays 11 am-2 pm
Occasional drinks & dinner at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki
Usually held on the third Friday of the month at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki.
Next: Friday 19 March from 5.30 pm
Please phone Finns and add you name to Sally’s table 04 292 8081 or email email@example.com and book a seat at Sally's table if you intend staying for dinner. It is a busy place and helps the staff if they can reserve the right sized table.
Kāpiti lesbians dining out
Potlucks are held on the Kāpiti Coast, usually on the first Saturday of the month. Lesbians from any area is welcome to attend - bring a mains or dessert to share, beverage of your choice. Singles and couples are welcome, as are visiting lesbians. The dates and venues are advertised via Leonie's email list.
Polari - Fantabulosa!
Polari is a queer inclusive cocktail party held at a different style-y bar in Wellington on a Friday, sometimes late in the month. Keep an eye on the facebook page for the next date.
Les Ukes - ukelele lessons
Stitch and Butch
A group of fun supportive queer folk who enjoy being crafty with yarn (while
yarning craftily). Their creations adorn bike stands and bollards around the CBD and
they are always preparing for their next splash of colour to brighten our city.
They meet Mondays, 6-8 pm at at St Andrews on the Terrace in the Rainbow Room on the second floor. Cost – koha.
Bring along your own project – their knowledge can solve many problems, or contribute
to their collective work. Or come just for some friendly company and a cup of tea (sometimes
there is even cake!)
They welcome donations of wool, yarn or thread. And they can find ways to recycle clothes and kitchen excess when you de-clutter. ... check their facebook page.
Social media groups
Suddenly the place to be ...
- lgbtqi+ Out & About Wellington for letting non-straight women know what's on in Wellington and surrounds
- Wellington Rainbow Families
- Aotearoa New Zealand Queer Herstories
- NZ Lesbians Social Group - lots of chat ...
- LEZconnect NZ - a safe space for lesbians to share experiences, ask for advice and insight, chat and meet new people
- Femme Club - social events for femmes and friends.
- Hutt/Wellington social group for lesbian & bisexual women
- Lemon Tea Wellington lesbian, bi & mtf trans dining and social group
- Rainbow families NZ - a friendly forum for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents, prospective parents, and their families
- plus a list of LGBTQ groups on our Rainbow page