Lesbian Overland and Café Club
The Lesbian Overland and Café Club is a social walking group for lesbians and their women friends. Young or not so young, we'd love you to join us. We choose walks from the Wellington region, alternating between Kapiti, Wellington, the Hutt Valley and sometimes the Wairarapa, starting and often finishing in a local café ... more ▶
Sunday 12 December: Mākara
The Mākara track is a comfortable 4hr walk up along the cliffs and down through farmland to Opau Bay, then along the beach and around the rocks to loop back to the café.
Dress for the weather on the day including sunhat and sturdy footwear, and bring your lunch and drink in your backpack. A hiking pole might be handy.
Getting there: Meet at 9.30am outside the front of the
Wellington railway station for car pooling (txt Lainey 027 3039006 for
Meet outside the Mākara café at 10am.
Trip leader Alannah 027 3419707
LILAC - Wellington's Lesbian Library
LILAC is a lending library for lesbians and queer women with a great selection of books, DVDs and magazines. It is at 187 Willis Street, 2nd floor (flat access from the street, lift). More info on the LILAC website at lilac.lesbian.net.nz including an online catalogue.
LILAC is open:
- Wednesdays 5.30-7.30 pm
- Thursdays 11 am-2 pm
- Saturdays 11 am-2 pm
LILAC now has TinyCat searchable catalogue - try it to see what books are available.
Lesbian Tattoos exhibition
The current exhibition at LILAC is photographs of local lesbians' tattoos with brief comments from the women saying what it meant to them when they first had their tattoos done, what it means to them now, how they have changed since getting their tattoos, what they symbolise. Visit LILAC soon to view the exhibition.
Occasional drinks & dinner at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki
Held on the third Friday of the month at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki.
Next: Friday 17 December from 5.30 pm.
Please phone Finns and add you name to Sally’s table 04 292 8081 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and book a seat at Sally's table by Thursday if you intend staying for dinner. It is a busy place and helps the staff if they can reserve the right sized table.
Polari - Fantabulosa!
Polari has kicked off a new start - all rainbows welcome. It is a queer inclusive cocktail party held at a different style-y bar in Wellington, usually on a Friday, sometimes late in the month. Keep an eye on the facebook page for more info.
Blondini's drinks at Scotty & Mal's
A relaxing gathering usually held every second and fourth Friday of the month, at Scotty and Mal’s, 176 Cuba St from 5.30. Just come along and look for a likely looking group of women and join us. Follow on facebook.
Next: when we are back at GREEN
Kāpiti lesbians dining out
Once we are back at GREEN ...
Potlucks are held on the Kāpiti Coast, usually on the first Saturday of the month. Lesbians from any area is welcome to attend - bring a mains or dessert to share, beverage of your choice. Singles and couples are welcome, as are visiting lesbians. The dates and venues are advertised via Leonie's email list.
Les Ukes - ukelele lessons
Social media groups
Suddenly the place to be ...
- lgbtqi+ Out & About Wellington for letting non-straight women know what's on in Wellington and surrounds
- Wellington Rainbow Families
- Aotearoa New Zealand Queer Herstories
- NZ Lesbians Social Group - lots of chat ...
- LEZconnect NZ - a safe space for lesbians to share experiences, ask for advice and insight, chat and meet new people
- Rainbow To Do - social group organising activities (closed group - join to see content).
- Hutt/Wellington social group for lesbian & bisexual women
- Lemon Tea Wellington lesbian, bi & mtf trans dining and social group
- Stitch and Butch - A group of fun supportive queer folk who enjoy being crafty with yarn (while yarning craftily)
- Queer whānau building Pōneke - A Wellington based group for queer whānau of every kind. Have kids, dream of a family, dedicated Aunty, straight parents with queer kids and more
- Rainbow families NZ - a friendly forum for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents, prospective parents, and their families
- plus a list of LGBTQ groups on our Rainbow page