Lesbian Overland and Café Club
The Lesbian Overland and Café Club is a social walking group for lesbians and their women friends. Young or not so young, we'd love you to join us. We choose walks from the Wellington region, alternating between Kapiti, Wellington, the Hutt Valley and sometimes the Wairarapa, starting and often finishing in a local café ... more ▶
Saturday/Sunday 11th-12th February: Kaitoki Regional Park
The February Lesbian Overlanders and women friends walk will be at Kaitoke Regional Park in the foothills of the Tararua Ranges. Join
us for a relaxing day of walking, swimming, picnicking and exploring. Some of us will be
camping overnight on the Saturday.
Meet in the main carpark by 10.15am Sunday 12th Febuary and together plan our day and choose our walk. Entry is via Waterworks Road (off SH2) - see the map on the Overlanders page.
Bring your own food and water, togs, plenty of sunscreen, sunhat, durable footwear, and warm waterproof clothing.
Contact Mary on 027 027 6261271 to let us know if you'll be joining
the camping or the walk.
Contact Ellen 027 2094004 if you want a ride on Sunday morning from the Petone station or Lower Hutt.
Camping fees (adult): $8 per night (unpowered); $16 per night (powered)
Sunday 12th March: Zealandia
A ramble in Zealandia, Wellington's amazing wildlife sanctuary. This season's chicks will have fledged and be learning their adult songs, tuatara and lizards may be out sunning themselves, and we can learn about recent arrivals in the sanctuary. Plus a visit to the Overlanders seat in Zealandia ... more ▶.
Occasional drinks & dinner at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki
Held (usually) on the third Friday of the month at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki.
Next: Friday 17th February from 5.30 pm
Please phone Finns and add your [first] name to Sally’s table 04 292 8081 or email email@example.com and book a seat at Sally's table.
The Sapphic Affair Ball
Saturday 3rd June 7pm @ Naumi Studio Hotel, 213 Cuba Street
A ball for sapphic-minded people! Held in the queer capital of the world, Wellington, there aren't many other events like this! The ball is to be held in June 2023, and the theme is the authentic self! There are only 170 tickets available so get in quick!
LILAC - Wellington's Lesbian Library
LILAC is a lending library for lesbians and queer women with a great selection
of books, DVDs and magazines. It is at level 2, 187 Willis Street (flat access
from the street, lift).
More info on the LILAC website at lilac.lesbian.net.nz - try the TinyCat searchable catalogue.
LILAC is open:
- Wednesdays 5.30-7.30 pm
- Thursdays 11 am-2 pm
- Saturdays 11 am-2 pm
LILAC Book Group
The LILAC Book Group meets on the second Wednesday of the month in the LILAC Library - taking a break in January. Tea and coffee are available and there may be bikkies. Come and join us to share a relaxing evening (re)discovering a range of lesbian literature.
- Wednesday 15 February, 6:15 - 7:30 pm
- featuring favourite holiday reading ... more info on the Book Group's webpage
Sketch Group at LILAC
DRAWING inspiration from the lives of lesbians. An informal sketching
group will meet at the LILAC Lounge on the 4th Wednesday
of the month 5:30pm-7:30pm.
Next Wednesday 22nd February
BYO your sketch pad, pencils etc, or some provided.
Tea/coffee available. Koha
Femmes & Thems comedy
Friday 24th March 8 pm @ The Fringe Bar
A fine line-up of women, non-binary, & gender non-conforming funny folk.
Featuring the best non-male performers on the comedy scene joining forces to
bring the funnies to your Friday nights!
Produced by Wellington whirlwind producer Creatif Kate.
More on eventfinda - tix without dinner $25 plus fee. Follow on facebook
Polari - Fantabulosa!
Polari is a queer inclusive cocktail party held at a different style-y bar in Wellington, usually on a Friday, sometimes late in the month. Keep an eye on the facebook page for more info.
Kāpiti lesbians dining out
Potlucks are held on the Kāpiti Coast, usually on the first Saturday of the month. Lesbians from any area is welcome to attend - bring a mains or dessert to share, beverage of your choice. Singles and couples are welcome, as are visiting lesbians. The dates and venues are advertised via Leonie's email list.
Planning a trip to New Zealand or an outdoor adventure
Social media groups
- lgbtqi+ Out & About Wellington for letting non-straight women know what's on in Wellington and surrounds
- Wellington Rainbow Families
- Aotearoa New Zealand Queer Herstories
- NZ Lesbians Social Group - lots of chat ...
- LEZconnect NZ - a safe space for lesbians to share experiences, ask for advice and insight, chat and meet new people
- Rainbow To Do - social group organising activities (closed group - join to see content).
- Hutt/Wellington social group for lesbian & bisexual women
- Lemon Tea Wellington lesbian, bi & mtf trans dining and social group
- Stitch and Butch - a group of fun supportive queer folk who enjoy being crafty with yarn (while yarning craftily)
- Queer whānau building Pōneke - A Wellington based group for queer whānau of every kind. Have kids, dream of a family, dedicated Aunty, straight parents with queer kids and more
- Rainbow families NZ - a friendly forum for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents, prospective parents, and their families
- plus a list of LGBTQ groups on our Rainbow page