Sapphic Lake - on demand
A new comic queer ballet based on the Ancient Greek myth of Iphis and Ianthe.
Sapphic Lake was about to open last year when the country went into lockdown. But $$ were raised and a performance was filmed later - and it is available to view on demand from BATS website
It's the Nonbinary Lesbian Ballet of the (12th) Century (BCE)
Gender isn't real - but love is.
When ancient Greek enby cutie Iphis finds themself in love with the babe next door Ianthe, a family secret threatens their cottagecore romance.
Luckily the Goddexxes are on their side.
Lesbian Overland and Café Club
The Lesbian Overland and Café Club is a social walking group for lesbians and their women friends. Young or not so young, we'd love you to join us. We choose walks from the Wellington region, alternating between Kapiti, Wellington, the Hutt Valley and sometimes the Wairarapa, starting and often finishing in a local café ... more ▶
Next: Sunday 13 February: Camborne Walkway, Plimmerton seaside
... details to come
LILAC - Wellington's Lesbian Library
LILAC is a lending library for lesbians and queer women with a great selection of books, DVDs and magazines. It is at 187 Willis Street, 2nd floor (flat access from the street, lift). More info on the LILAC website at lilac.lesbian.net.nz - try the TinyCat searchable catalogue.
LILAC is operating under RED traffic light protocols just like public libraries.
LILAC is open:
- Wednesdays 5.30-7.30 pm
- Thursdays 11 am-2 pm
- Saturdays 11 am-2 pm
Lesbian Tattoos exhibition
The current exhibition at LILAC is photographs of local lesbians' tattoos with brief comments from the women saying what it meant to them when they first had their tattoos done, what it means to them now, how they have changed since getting their tattoos, what they symbolise. Visit LILAC soon to view the exhibition.
LILAC Book Group
The LILAC Book Group meets on the second Wednesday of the month in the LILAC Library. Tea and coffee are available and there may be cake or bikkies. Come and join us to share a relaxing evening (re)discovering a range of lesbian literature.
- Wednesday 9 February, 6:15 - 7:30 pm
- featuring Humour ... more info on the Book Group's webpage
Occasional drinks & dinner at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki
Held on the third Friday of the month at Finns Bar, Paekākāriki.
Next: Friday 19February from 5.30 pm.
Please phone Finns and add you name to Sally’s table 04 292 8081 or email email@example.com and book a seat at Sally's table by Thursday if you intend staying for dinner. It is a busy place and helps the staff if they can reserve the right sized table.
Polari - Fantabulosa!
Polari has kicked off a new start - all rainbows welcome. It is a queer inclusive cocktail party held at a different style-y bar in Wellington, usually on a Friday, sometimes late in the month ... but it's become an occasional event of late. Keep an eye on the facebook page for more info.
Blondini's drinks at Scotty & Mal's
A relaxing gathering usually held every second and fourth Friday of the month, at Scotty and Mal’s, 176 Cuba St from 5.30. Just come along and look for a likely looking group of women and join us. Follow on facebook.
Next: when we are back at GREEN
Kāpiti lesbians dining out
Once we are back at GREEN ...
Potlucks are held on the Kāpiti Coast, usually on the first Saturday of the month. Lesbians from any area is welcome to attend - bring a mains or dessert to share, beverage of your choice. Singles and couples are welcome, as are visiting lesbians. The dates and venues are advertised via Leonie's email list.
Les Ukes - ukelele lessons
Social media groups
Suddenly the place to be ...
- lgbtqi+ Out & About Wellington for letting non-straight women know what's on in Wellington and surrounds
- Wellington Rainbow Families
- Aotearoa New Zealand Queer Herstories
- NZ Lesbians Social Group - lots of chat ...
- LEZconnect NZ - a safe space for lesbians to share experiences, ask for advice and insight, chat and meet new people
- Rainbow To Do - social group organising activities (closed group - join to see content).
- Hutt/Wellington social group for lesbian & bisexual women
- Lemon Tea Wellington lesbian, bi & mtf trans dining and social group
- Stitch and Butch - A group of fun supportive queer folk who enjoy being crafty with yarn (while yarning craftily)
- Queer whānau building Pōneke - A Wellington based group for queer whānau of every kind. Have kids, dream of a family, dedicated Aunty, straight parents with queer kids and more
- Rainbow families NZ - a friendly forum for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents, prospective parents, and their families
- plus a list of LGBTQ groups on our Rainbow page