The weekly Quilted Bananas Radio Show is broadcast on Sundays, 10 - 11 am, on Wellington
Access Radio 106.1 FM. You can also listen to the live broadcast of the
programme online on Sunday mornings - go to the Access Radio website to live stream.
Note: you need to have Adobe Flash installed on your computer to listen live.
Notices for the broadcasting on the programme should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out the Programme's facebook page Quilted Bananas Radio for the latest updates from programme presenters.
Upcoming programme presenters:
- 31 Apr: Karen
- 7 June: Sue & Fiona
The most recent programmes are available on the Access Radio Quilted Bananas radio page. Each Sunday's programme can generally be downloaded within a day of broadcasting. Here are the latest programmes available - click the link to play:
- Access Radio closed their studios to programme presenters from late March until 18 May while the country was under Levels 3 & 4 lockdown. Some programme presenters were able to prerecord their programmes and submit them for broadcasting, and sometimes a previous programme was rebroadcast.
- 24 May Quilted Bananas collective talking about their lives under lockdown, via Zoom
- 17 May: rebroadcast of the May 10 programme ... covid-19 - studio closed
- 10 May Karen streaming the InsideOUT intergenerational, online panel discussion to celebrate Lesbian Visibility Day held on 26 April 2020 [also available on PrideNZ.com]
- 3 May Siân & Creek - life under lockdown ... gardening, online streaming services and more
- 26 Apr: rebroadcast of Creek's programme of 29 Mar ... covid-19 - studio closed
- 19 Apr: oopsy ... no pre-recorded programme ... covid-19 - studio closed
- 12 Apr Karen - interviews recorded at Out in the Park; interview with Tabby about how lock down is affecting the rainbow community
- 5 Apr: oopsy ... no pre-recorded programme ... covid-19 - studio closed
- 29 Mar Creek ruminating on the theme of distraction while living with our lock-down at home ... covid-19
- 22 Mar: Rebroadcast of Prue's programme of the 15th March ... covid-19 - studio closed
- 15 Mar Prue - lesbian programme, interview with Lois & Hilary on their book The One That Got Away
- 8 Mar Sue - interview with Shaz on huha aid in Australia
- 1 Mar Sue - Pride events, CoViD-19, science fiction and more
- 23 Feb DJ Panda aka Leilani - discussing Rainbow Pasefika at The Wellington Museum on 29 February
- 16 Feb Karen - Pride preview; Dykes on Bykes
- 9 Feb Prue - Lesbian community programme
- 2 Feb Siân - femme rants, with Kassie Hartendorp
- 26 Jan Creek - musicians who wanna look like us
- 19 Jan Sue - breast cancer drugs, pay equity, youth homelessness
- 12 Jan Prue - talking about her recent time in London, metastatic breast cancer treatment in NZ and overseas, Jan Bolwell (New Year's Honours) and more
- 5 Jan Kura - replay of her October interview with writer Kate Kennedy about her Headlands project
- 29 Dec Fiona & Sue - reviewing the year
- 22 Dec Creek and QB members - reading rounds from the Paekākārikii Pride Quiz!
- 15 Dec Creek & Emmie - musicians who wanna look like us
- 8 Dec Linda - chatting with Sandra and Bex about social services, self-defence, inclusiveness ...
- 1 Dec Siân - femme rants plus an i/view Chris Brickell about his book Queer Objects
- 24 Nov Sue - Zinefest, Ligia Horta's Ok Boomer badge and more
- 17 Nov Creek - i/v Stephanie Gibson, Matariki Williams, authors of Protest Tautohetohe
- 10 Nov Fiona & Sue - talking about Val McDermid's visit to Wellington, books and libraries, music ...
- 3 Nov Siân talking to Hanna Waswa, a Two-Spirit Anishinaabe from Treaty 9 territory in Canada
- 27 Oct Kura chatting with Kathy Ombler a local freelance writer with a special focus on conservation, tourism, and hospitality
- 20 Oct Karen & Adrienne - music (Gladys Bentley!) and local goings on
- 13 Oct Sue & Sarah - talking about some of the first queens! Power, renown, and fabulousness in ancient Egypt
- 6 Oct Creek & Emmie interview each other about their bands
- 29 Sept Kura - interview with Kate Kennedy
- 22 Sept Linda featuring Asian queer music
- 15 Sept Siân - femme rants with writer and poet Emma Barnes
- 8 Sept Fiona & Sue - with Sally and Lisa from Stitch and Butch
- 1 Sept Kura - music and local events
History and philosophy
The Quilted Bananas Radio Programme provides lively coverage of news, politics, activities, interviews and music for queer women & non-binary folk. It focuses on Wellington regional activities, but also covers national and international news. As an acronym our name stands for: Queer, Intersectional, Intersex, Lesbian, Takataapui, Trans, Enby, Diverse ... Bisexual, Asexual, and Nanas (because a lot of us also identify as nanas). As a metaphor, Quilted Bananas is about celebrating all the slippery overlaps these communities can have.
Quilted Bananas started life as the Wellington Lesbian Community Radio Programme, airing under that name for more than 35 years until our revamp in 2019. We continue to receive funding from the Armstrong and Arthur Charitable Trust, which generously supports lesbian-interest activities in Wellington.
The programme is run by a collective of presenters and technicians and we always welcome new volunteers – if interested, email our heirloom address: email@example.com
We value respect and we don’t do gender-policing.
Speak Out on Access Radio
Speak Out brings news, music, stories, and media from rainbow communities in New Zealand to air! The show is run by a group of young people who volunteer with InsideOUT, a Wellington-based national organisation that works to make schools and communities across Aotearoa safer for youth with diverse sexualities, sexes and genders.
Speak Out is broadcast fortnightly on Wednesdays at 6pm - listen live on 106.1 FM or go to the Access Radio website and click on the listen live button. Podcasts of earlier programmes are available from the Speak Out page.
Overseas lesbian podcasts
- Radio DIVA - interviews, from DIVA magazine in London
- Dykes on Mykes (Brisbane)
- Dykes on Mykes (Montréal)
- My Lesbian Radio
- The Wet Spot (Joy FM - see below)
- Rubyfruit Radio
Joy 94.9 Melbourne
Joy 94.9 is a queer radio station in Melbourne that broadcasts around the clock. Podcasts, live streaming and transcripts are available.