Fringe Festival 17 February - 11 March 2023
The programme for the 2023 Fringe Festival is out with all the usual variety - go to fringe.co.nz/programme and select the LGBTQIA+ genre to see the rainbow offerings.
LGBTI history walk tours
Turquoise Tour - Sunday 5th February
Join this 90-minute walk tour of inner city Wellington, New Zealand to learn about:
Activism and homosexual law reform
Homosexuality being used as a political weapon
LGBTI rainbow personalities and artists
Early social meeting places
More details on the tour webpage. Register at www.taonga.nz/walktours.
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage. They walk on flat, accessible public footpaths. Tours are limited to approximately 20 walkers.
CampGround Rainbow Comedy Night
Thursday 16 February 8pm @ Ivy Bar and Cabaret, 63 Cuba St.
A comedy showcase of our best LGBTQAII+ standup comedians, on the third Thursday of the month. Featuring polished pros and hilarious up-and-comers. Support your community by laughing with us! ... tix on eventfinda or at the door.
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities. Follow on facebook
- Monthly drinks: Friday 17 February 5-7pm @ Fork & Brewer, Bond St.
Wellington Feminist Creative Community — Poetry Nights!
Tues 21 March at 7:30pm @ The Fringe Bar, Allen St.
The Wellington Feminist Creative Community brings you its monthly curated Poetry Night!
Eight poets bring their finest and freshest work to Tuesday nights.
2023 dates to be announced
The Poetry Nights are a safe and inclusive place for people to express themselves and are mindful of the need to avoid transphobia, misogyny, racism and ableism. They seek to platform a diversity of voices from the glorious expanse that is Wellington's rainbow communities. New poets are always welcome ... more on facebook.
Dating's a DRAG: She 4 Her
Thursday 30 March 7:30pm @ Ivy Bar & Cabaret
Calling all Shes and Hers, and Femme Theys and Thems
This She 4 Her night is for people who identify on the feminine side of the gender spectrum who are attracted to people on the feminine side of the gender spectrum. They’ve created a space for all people femme and them! Our trans, Takatāpui, non-binary, and genderfluid whānau are welcome, non-monogamous and polyamorous participants welcome! More on the facebook event page. Doors open 7pm, 7.30pm start! Koha on door
The Glamaphones are Wellington's all-inclusive rainbow choir based at St Andrews on the Terrace. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. Follow the Glamaphones on facebook or their website. Rehearsals on Thursdays 6.30pm (usually) at St Andrews on the Terrace.
Same sex dancing classes
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
The final Sunday night class for 2022 will be on Sunday 4 December.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
- The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences and campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
- The On This Day page has a rich mix of rainbow life - from events that happened over 100 years ago to today.
- An interactive map of rainbow related sites in Wellington with links to interviews and articles on the website.
- Check out the historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
Ivy Bar and Cabaret
James Smiths Basement, 49 Cuba Street - ivybar.co.nz - they have lots of shows and events
S&M's - Scotty and Mal's Cocktail and Lounge Bar
176 Cuba Street - www.scottyandmals.co.nz
facebook and other social media groups
- Hutt Valley Pride | Te Ngākau Kahukura o Te Awakairangi
- Hutt Valley Rainbows
- Queer Network NZ - Wellington Chapter - information sharing network
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Gay Wellington
- Tīwhanawhana is a takatāpui community group in Wellington that welcomes people of all diverse sexualities and gender. The kaupapa of Tīwhanawhana is primarily for takatāpui: building community, telling our stories and leaving legacies.
- Out at Work - union group
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- UniQ Massey Wellington
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...
Social sporty groups
- Wellington Wanderers - a rainbow community group who walk every Saturday morning - open to all.
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook