Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities.
National Schools Pride Week
24th - 28th August
A nationwide schools pride week with a range of activities that whole schools, QSAs, or even individual students can get involved with. A nationwide way to join in with the Rainbow community! More info on the Schools Pride Week website.
OUTSpoken Toastmasters - online
OUTSpoken is a Toastmasters club based in Wellington which focuses on developing leadership and communication skills among the wider rainbow community. Find more details on their facebook page
Next: Sunday 23 August from 5:45 via zoom - more info on the facebook event page
Queer and trans* Drawing class
27th August - 1st October
A queer and trans* space for us to explore drawing with Siân. In her experience it can be a very powerful and liberating experience to represent ourselves and our communities, in our own ways. Expressive drawing and some life drawing with a model ... more info on the facebook event page.
LGBTI history walk tours
Violet tour: LGBTI rainbow walk tour through Wellington
Sunday 6 Spetember 1-2:30pm
Meet on the steps of Parliament Buildings (by the flag poles) for this 90-minute
walk tour of inner city Wellington, New Zealand. Most of
the walk is on the flat using accessible public footpaths, although there is a
section where we will take the steps down from The Terrace to Lambton Quay (an
alternative route can be taken if required).
- Homosexual Law Reform
- The beginnings of rainbow radio broadcasting
- LGBTI rainbow personalities
- Churches and LGBTI rainbow communities
- Imprisonment on Matiu Somes Island
- A WW1 same-sex love story
The walk ends at the Waterfront by Frank Kitts Park ... facebook event page.
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers monthly free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city's rich LGBTI rainbow heritage.
The Glamaphones Choir
The Glamaphones are Wellington's all-inclusive rainbow choir based at St Andrews on
the Terrace. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing.
The Glamaphones have resumed their weekly rehearsals - visit their facebook page for more info.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
The On This Day page has a rich mix of rainbow life - from events that happened over 100 years ago to today.
Check out the awesome historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
Same sex dancing classes
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7.00 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8.10 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS facebook page or website for more information.
School's Out provides a safe, inclusive, social and support space for Queer* and
questioning youth in the Wellington region.
Visit their facebook page for more info.
Ivy Bar and Cabaret
James Smiths Basement, 49 Cuba Street - www.ivybar.co.nz
S&M's - Scotty and Mal's Cocktail and Lounge Bar
176 Cuba Street - www.scottyandmals.co.nz.
facebook and other social media groups
- Hutt Valley Rainbows a social group in the Hutt that organises meetups in better times
- Queer Network NZ - Wellington Chapter - information sharing network
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Gay Wellington
- Tīwhanawhana is a takatāpui community group in Wellington that welcomes people of all diverse sexualities and gender. The kaupapa of Tīwhanawhana is primarily for takatāpui: building community, telling our stories and leaving legacies.
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook