Wellington International AIDS Candlelight Memorial
Sunday 16 May 4:50pm @ Tararua Tramping Clubrooms, 4 Moncrieff St, Mt Vic.
The International AIDS Candlelight Memorial serves as a community mobilization campaign to
raise social consciousness about HIV. The Memorial supports global solidarity, breaking down
barriers of stigma and discrimination, and giving hope to new generations.
This year's Memorial will start with our history in pictures at 4.50pm followed by Memorial at 5pm.
Refreshments will be served after the memorial.
More info on bodypositive.org.nz/Candlelight including links to support the Memorial online.
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities. Follow on facebook
LGBTI history walk tours: Turquoise Tour
Sunday 6 June 1-2:30pm
Learn about local LGBTI rainbow personalities and famous artists, activism and homosexual law reform, early social meeting places and homosexuality being used as a political weapon. Most of the walk is on the flat using accessible public footpaths (an alternative fully accessible route is available if required).
The walk is free but please register at www.taonga.nz/walktours
Starts: Civic Centre (exact location will given in the confirmation email).
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
The On This Day page has a rich mix of rainbow life - from events that happened over 100 years ago to today.
Check out the awesome historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
The Glamaphones Choir
The Glamaphones are Wellington's all-inclusive rainbow choir based at St Andrews on the Terrace. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. Follow the Glamaphones on facebook.
Same sex dancing classes
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
School's Out provides a safe, inclusive, social and support space for Queer* and
questioning youth in the Wellington region.
Visit their facebook page for more info.
Ivy Bar and Cabaret
James Smiths Basement, 49 Cuba Street - www.ivybarandcabaret.co.nz
S&M's - Scotty and Mal's Cocktail and Lounge Bar
176 Cuba Street - www.scottyandmals.co.nz.
facebook and other social media groups
- Hutt Valley Rainbows a social group in the Hutt that organises meetups in better times
- Queer Network NZ - Wellington Chapter - information sharing network
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Gay Wellington
- Tīwhanawhana is a takatāpui community group in Wellington that welcomes people of all diverse sexualities and gender. The kaupapa of Tīwhanawhana is primarily for takatāpui: building community, telling our stories and leaving legacies.
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook