Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities.
- RW drinks Friday 14 August 5pm @ The Fringe Bar 26 Allen St ... more on the facebook event page
National Schools Pride Week
24th - 28th August
A nationwide schools pride week with a range of activities that whole schools, QSAs, or even individual students can get involved with. A nationwide way to join in with the Rainbow community! More info on the Schools Pride Week website.
LGBTTIAP+ Open Political Forum Q&A
26th August 3-5:30 @ Eva Beva, 35 Dixon Street
free, open discussion forum focusing on LGBTTQIAP+ relevant issues and policies from NZ political candidates in Aotearoa. Political representatives from both sides of the aisle have been invited to celebrate and discuss the future of LGBTTQIAP+ issues in Aotearoa NZ. More info on facebook.
LGBTI history walk tours
Red tour Sunday 2 August 1pm
Join this 90-minute walk tour of inner city Wellington. The walk is on the flat using
accessible public footpaths.
- Community icons giving back
- Early female impersonators
- The Salvation Army and homosexual law reform
- LGBTI social meeting places
- Infamous local hate crimes
- A landmark church service on homosexuality
Starts: Pukeahu Park (meet at the bottom of the steps to the war memorial), Tory Street at 1pm
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city's rich LGBTI rainbow heritage.
The Glamaphones Choir
The Glamaphones are Wellington's all-inclusive rainbow choir based at St Andrews on
the Terrace. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing.
The Glamaphones have resumed their weekly rehearsals - visit their facebook page for more info.
OUTSpoken Toastmasters - online
OUTSpoken is a Toastmasters club based in Wellington which focuses on developing leadership and communication skills among the wider rainbow community. Find more details on their facebook page
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
The On This Day page has a rich mix of rainbow life - from today to events that happened over 100 years ago.
Check out the awesome historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
Same sex dancing classes
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7.00 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8.10 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS facebook page or website for more information.
School's Out provides a safe, inclusive, social and support space for Queer* and
questioning youth in the Wellington region.
Visit their facebook page for more info.
Ivy Bar and Cabaret
James Smiths Basement, 49 Cuba Street - www.ivybar.co.nz
S&M's - Scotty and Mal's Cocktail and Lounge Bar
176 Cuba Street - www.scottyandmals.co.nz.
facebook and other social media groups
- Hutt Valley Rainbows a social group in the Hutt that organises meetups in better times
- Queer Network NZ - Wellington Chapter - information sharing network
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Gay Wellington
- Tīwhanawhana is a takatāpui community group in Wellington that welcomes people of all diverse sexualities and gender. The kaupapa of Tīwhanawhana is primarily for takatāpui: building community, telling our stories and leaving legacies.
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook