LGBTI history walk tours
Due to the COVID-19 situation Walk Tours NZ cannot offer their free public walk tours in a physical sense. However they are offering a live streaming version of the tours on Youtube - video of the Resonance LGBTI walk tour on 3 May is available on Youtube.
Violet LGBTI walk tour livestream
Sunday 7 June 1-2pm
Join live for the 1-hour Violet Tour to explore sites of significance to Wellington’s LGBTI
rainbow communities. Learn about:
- Homosexual Law Reform
- The beginnings of rainbow radio broadcasting
- LGBTI rainbow personalities
- Churches and LGBTI rainbow communities
- Imprisonment on Matiu Somes Island
- A WW1 same-sex love story
More on the facebook event page.
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city's rich LGBTI rainbow heritage.
Wellington Pride Festival Inc. AGM
Sunday 14 June, 2pm @ St Andrew's on the Terrace
The new date for the Annual General Meeting of Wellington Pride Festival Inc. has been announced. The AGM is where where our community chooses - who you want to lead the engagement with our community, festival planning & implementation for 2021, as well as the organising of foundation events like 'Out in the Park' ... facebook event page.
OUTSpoken Toastmasters - online
OUTSpoken is a Toastmasters club based in Wellington which focuses on developing leadership and communication skills among the wider rainbow community. Find more details on their facebook page - meetings via Zoom for the duration.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
Check out the awesome historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
facebook and other social media groups
Suddelny ... the hangout places
- Hutt Valley Rainbows a social group in the Hutt that organises meetups in better times
- Queer Network NZ - Wellington Chapter - information sharing network
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Gay Wellington
- Tīwhanawhana is a takatāpui community group in Wellington that welcomes people of all diverse sexualities and gender. The kaupapa of Tīwhanawhana is primarily for takatāpui: building community, telling our stories and leaving legacies.
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities.
In light of the recent environment, in relation to COVID-19, the Rainbow Wellington Board has decided to postpone all upcoming events until further notice ... more on their facebook page.
The Glamaphones Choir
The Glamaphones are Wellington's all-inclusive rainbow choir based at St Andrews on
the Terrace. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing.
The Glamaphones have put their weekly rehearsals on hold ... Covid-19. Visit their facebook page for more info.
Same sex dancing classes
Dancing classes are cancelled until further notice.
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7.00 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8.10 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS facebook page for more information.
School's Out provides a safe, inclusive, social and support space for Queer* and
questioning youth in the Wellington region.
School's Out Hutt and Central have been suspended until further notice. Visit their facebook page for more info.
Ivy Bar and Cabaret
James Smiths Basement, 49 Cuba Street - www.ivybar.co.nz
S&M's - Scotty and Mal's Cocktail and Lounge Bar
176 Cuba Street - www.scottyandmals.co.nz.
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook