The Glamaphones Choir: Leather and Lace concert
Thursday 24 June 5pm @ St Andrew's on The Terrace
Leather and Lace is a journey through the modern musical era, the synthesis of hard and soft;
from smoke-filled cabaret dens to glam rock stadiums.
The Glamaphones will take you on a ride, exploring the diversity across pop music as a reflection of the diversity within our community. There will be tender moments and there will be elements of extreme extroversion. And underlying all this is the ongoing theme of struggle for empowerment through song ... more on the facebook event page.
Leather and Lace in Palmerston North
Saturday 26 June 5pm @ the Globe Theatre, 312 Main St
The Glamaphones are Wellington's all-inclusive rainbow choir based at St Andrews on the Terrace. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. Follow the Glamaphones on facebook.
Wellington Pride Annual General Meeting
Sunday 20 June 11am @ Thistle Hall
Would you like to join Wellington Pride’s Board of Directors?
Go to their Annual General Meeting (AGM) to have your say on who should help build the Wellington Pride Festival 2022.
All are welcome, whether you’re applying for a role or just interested in asking questions and voicing your vision for the coming year. More info on the facebook event page
LGBTI history walk tours: Violet Tour
Sunday 4 July 1-2:30pm
Learn about homosexual law reform in the 1970s and 80s, the beginnings of rainbow radio broadcasting, faith communities' relationship with rainbow people, imprisonment on Matiu Somes Island and a WW1 same-sex love story. Most of the walk is on the flat using accessible public footpaths (an alternative fully accessible route is available if required).
The walk is free but please register at www.taonga.nz/walktours
Starts: Thorndon Area (exact location will given in the confirmation email).
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage.
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities. Follow on facebook
- Monthly drinks Friday 9 July 5pm @ Fringe Bar, Allen St.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
- The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
- The On This Day page has a rich mix of rainbow life - from events that happened over 100 years ago to today.
- An interactive map of rainbow related sites in Wellington has links to interviews and articles on the website.
- Check out the awesome historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
Same sex dancing classes
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
School's Out provides a safe, inclusive, social and support space for Queer* and
questioning youth in the Wellington region.
Visit their facebook page for more info.
Ivy Bar and Cabaret
James Smiths Basement, 49 Cuba Street - www.ivybarandcabaret.co.nz - they have lots of shows and events
S&M's - Scotty and Mal's Cocktail and Lounge Bar
facebook and other social media groups
- Hutt Valley Rainbows a social group in the Hutt that organises meetups in better times
- Queer Network NZ - Wellington Chapter - information sharing network
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Gay Wellington
- Tīwhanawhana is a takatāpui community group in Wellington that welcomes people of all diverse sexualities and gender. The kaupapa of Tīwhanawhana is primarily for takatāpui: building community, telling our stories and leaving legacies.
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook