Fringe Festival Wed 14 February - Sat 9 March 2024
The programme for the 2024 Fringe Festival is out with a huge variety of shows - it looks wild! Go to fringe.co.nz/programme and select the LGBTQIA+ genre to see the rainbow offerings.
Rainbow Dragon Club
Sunday 25th Febuary 6pm @ Smart Newtown (next to Newtown Library)
A fortnightly boardgame and tabletop game club for the LGBTQ+ community and for women.
You are welcome to bring along your own games, miniatures, and paints. Or just bring yourself and try out a game in their collection! Follow on facebook.
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities. Follow on facebook
CampGround Rainbow Comedy Night
Thursday 7th March 8pm @ Ivy Bar and Cabaret, 63 Cuba St.
A comedy showcase of our best LGBTQAII+ standup comedians, on the first and third Thursdays of the month. Featuring polished pros and hilarious up-and-comers. Support your community by laughing with us! ... tix on eventfinda or at the door.
LGBTI history walk tours
The Fabulous Carmen Tour: tea, toasties and trade - Sunday 10th March 1pm
Join this free 90-minute community walk-tour as we trace Carmen's Wellington years
(1967-1980). Visit some of the remaining inner-city business locations and imagine some
of those that are no longer here: Le Balcon, Carmen's International Coffee Lounge, The
Peacock, Cleopatra's Coffee Lounge, Carmen's Bazaar, The Gazebo massage parlour, The
Cottage brothel and Carmen's Curio Shop ... more on the facebook event page.
The tour is free but please register at www.taonga.nz/walktours. No bookings no walk!
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage. Usually held on the first Sunday of the month. They walk on flat, accessible public footpaths. Tours are limited to approximately 20 walkers.
The Glamaphones are Wellington's all-inclusive rainbow choir based at St Andrews on the Terrace. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. They sing a range of music including pop, classical, spirituals, world, choral, musical, and jazz classics. Follow the Glamaphones on facebook or their website. Rehearsals on Thursdays 6.30pm (usually) at St Andrews on the Terrace.
Same sex dancing classes
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
- The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences and campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
- The On This Day page has a rich mix of rainbow life - from events that happened over 100 years ago to today.
- An interactive map of rainbow related sites in Wellington with links to interviews and articles on the website.
- Check out the historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
Ivy Bar and Cabaret
James Smiths Basement, 49 Cuba Street - ivybar.co.nz - they have lots of shows and events
S&M's - Scotty and Mal's Cocktail and Lounge Bar
176 Cuba Street - www.scottyandmals.co.nz
facebook and other social media groups
- Rainbow Hutt Valley | Te Ngākau Kahukura o Te Awa Kairangi
- Queer whānau building Pōneke
- Queer Network NZ - Wellington Chapter - information sharing network
- Queer Wellington
- Tīwhanawhana is a takatāpui community group in Wellington that welcomes people of all diverse sexualities and gender. The kaupapa of Tīwhanawhana is primarily for takatāpui: building community, telling our stories and leaving legacies.
- Out at Work - union group
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- UniQ Massey Wellington
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for rainbow people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...
Social sporty groups
- Rainbow Team Wellington - has an omnibus list of sporty and cultural groups.
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different ropes - queer indoor climbing Wednesdays 5pm-7pm at Fergs Rockclimbing, Queens Wharf
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Different Spokes - Wellington queer cycling group
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook
- Wellington Wanderers - a rainbow community group who walk every Saturday morning - open to all. They try and alternate between Wellington and Kapiti areas each fortnight. All walks are events in the Facebook group
- Rainbow Outdoors Wellington - A group for queer and/or trans people - including takatāpui, intersex, and non-binary folk - to get involved in outdoors trips such as tramping, day-hikes, camping, climbing, etc., and to meet other like-minded people.