LGBTI history walk tours: Yellow Tour
Sunday 3 October 1-2:30pm
This tour highlights historic and contemporary trans and non-binary people and communities related to Wellington. Learn about Aunty Dana's Op Shop, Bella Simpson, Carmen Rupe, Chrissy Witoko, Dana de Milo, Eugene Falleni, Gender Minorities Aotearoa, Georgina Beyer, Shelley Te Waiariki Howard and Zena Campbell. The walk is mainly on the flat using accessible public footpaths.
The walk is free but please register at www.taonga.nz/walktours
Starts: Te Aro (exact location will given in the confirmation email).
Historic LGBTI Rainbow Inner City Tours
Join Walk Tours NZ on two historic walking tours that explore the formative years of the LGBTI Rainbow community in Wellington. The extra tours as part of Wellington Heritage Week
Resonance Route (Te Aro) - Saturday 30 Oct 1pm
This tour gives you an opportunity to be transported back to earlier days to discover
stories of courage and resilience while standing in the locations where it all happened.
We'll visit Carmen's curio shop, stop by the infamous Club Exotic, talk about a poetic
same-sex romance, visit the site of the discreet Dorian Society and more. The walk is on
the flat using accessible public footpaths.
Location: Meet outside of Thistle Hall, 293 Cuba Street
Violet Route (Parliament) - Sunday 31 Oct 1pm
Learn about homosexual law reform, the beginnings of rainbow radio broadcasting, local
LGBTI rainbow personalities, supportive (and not so supportive) churches, a WW1 same-sex
love story and imprisonment on Matiu Somes Island.
Location: Meet at the flagpoles on the steps of Parliament.
Booking is required for both tours - www.taonga.nz/walktours
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage.
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities. Follow on facebook
Next: under level 2 rules
- Monthly drinks: Friday 8 Oct 5pm @ El Barrio, 35 Dixon St.
CampGround Rainbow Comedy night
Thursday 21 October 8pm & Ivy Bar and Caberet, 63 Cuba St
A new showcase of the best LGBTQAII+ comedians from Wellington and beyond.
Featuring polished pros and hilarious up-and-comers. It's a big comedy party just waiting for you. More info and tix at eventfinda.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
Something to do under lockdown ...
- The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
- The On This Day page has a rich mix of rainbow life - from events that happened over 100 years ago to today.
- An interactive map of rainbow related sites in Wellington with links to interviews and articles on the website.
- Check out the awesome historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
Rehearsals suspended until we return to level 1
The Glamaphones are Wellington's all-inclusive rainbow choir based at St Andrews on the Terrace. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. Follow the Glamaphones on facebook or their website. Rehearsals on Thursdays 6.30pm (usually) at St Andrews on the Terrace.
Same sex dancing classes
Classes suspended until we return to level 1
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
School's Out provides a safe, inclusive, social and support space for Queer* and
questioning youth in the Wellington region.
Visit their facebook page for more info.
Ivy Bar and Cabaret
James Smiths Basement, 49 Cuba Street - www.ivybarandcabaret.co.nz - they have lots of shows and events
S&M's - Scotty and Mal's Cocktail and Lounge Bar
facebook and other social media groups
- Hutt Valley Rainbows a social group in the Hutt that organises meetups in better times
- Queer Network NZ - Wellington Chapter - information sharing network
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Gay Wellington
- Tīwhanawhana is a takatāpui community group in Wellington that welcomes people of all diverse sexualities and gender. The kaupapa of Tīwhanawhana is primarily for takatāpui: building community, telling our stories and leaving legacies.
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook