LGBTI history walk tours
Resonance Tour: LGBTI rainbow walk tour through Wellington
Saturday 26 September 1pm from the Thistle Hall Gallery cnr Cuba and Arthur Sts
Join this free 90-minute walk tour of inner city Wellington looking at sites of significance
to Wellington’s LGBTI rainbow communities.
In support of New Zealand Sign Language Week (21-27 Sep) this tour will also be interpreted into NZSL with thanks to Rainbow Wellington ... More on the facebook event page
Violet Tour: LGBTI rainbow walk tour through Wellington
Sunday 4 October 1pm from the steps of Parliament Buildings
Join this 90-minute walk tour of inner city Wellington, New Zealand. Most of the walk is
on the flat using accessible public footpaths. Learn about:
- Homosexual Law Reform
- The beginnings of rainbow radio broadcasting
- LGBTI rainbow personalities
- Churches and LGBTI rainbow communities
- Imprisonment on Matiu Somes Island
- A WW1 same-sex love story
More on the facebook event page
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers monthly free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city's rich LGBTI rainbow heritage.
Queer Archives Zine launch
Friday 2 October 5.30pm @ National Library, cnr Molesworth & Aitken
This is the public launch of a new collaborative zine that explores local queer archives. This zine (D.I.Y magazine) is the outcome of an intensive archival workshop. A dozen people delved into LAGANZ (Lesbian and Gay Archives NZ) to discover posters, leaflets, photos and other ephemera relating to LGBTQI+ lives and culture in Aotearoa. The zine reproduces some of this material and reflects on the importance of local queer history to us today ... more on the facebook event page
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities.
Pink Shirt Day Friday 16 October
Pink Shirt Day works to create schools, workplaces, communities and whanau where everyone feels safe, valued and respected. Wear a pink shirt and celebrate diversity, spread aroha and kindness and take a stand against bullying! More on pinkshirtday.org.nz
The Glamaphones with GALS - Stronger Together
Sunday 25 October 4pm @ St Andrews on the Terrace
This is the concert you have been waiting for: Two queer choirs, one concert, in Wellington. This Labour weekend, the Glamaphones will be hosting our older sibling choir from Auckland, the brilliant GALS, for a joint concert. This programme, with offerings from each choir, was created in the midst of a global pandemic ... more on the facebook event page
The Glamaphones Choir
The Glamaphones are Wellington's all-inclusive rainbow choir based at St Andrews on
the Terrace. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing.
The Glamaphones have resumed their weekly rehearsals - visit their facebook page for more info.
OUTSpoken Toastmasters - online
OUTSpoken is a Toastmasters club based in Wellington which focuses on developing leadership and communication skills among the wider rainbow community. Find more details on their facebook page
PrideNZ.com audio archive
The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences, campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
The On This Day page has a rich mix of rainbow life - from events that happened over 100 years ago to today.
Check out the awesome historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
Same sex dancing classes
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
School's Out provides a safe, inclusive, social and support space for Queer* and
questioning youth in the Wellington region.
Visit their facebook page for more info.
Ivy Bar and Cabaret
James Smiths Basement, 49 Cuba Street - www.ivybar.co.nz
S&M's - Scotty and Mal's Cocktail and Lounge Bar
176 Cuba Street - www.scottyandmals.co.nz.
facebook and other social media groups
- Hutt Valley Rainbows a social group in the Hutt that organises meetups in better times
- Queer Network NZ - Wellington Chapter - information sharing network
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Gay Wellington
- Tīwhanawhana is a takatāpui community group in Wellington that welcomes people of all diverse sexualities and gender. The kaupapa of Tīwhanawhana is primarily for takatāpui: building community, telling our stories and leaving legacies.
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook