Events at the Secret Secret Club
- Queer Board Games Nights Monday 3 October 6-9pm - alternate Mondays
- Bisexual Social Meetup Monday 3 October 6-8:30pm - first Monday of the month
- Crafty Queer Mates Wednesday 12 October 6-8pm - alternate Wednesdays
- Rainbow Coworking Fridays - every Friday, koha
- and many more
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities. Follow on facebook
- Monthly drinks: Friday 7 Oct 5-7pm @ Southern Cross, 39 Abel Smith St.
Wellington Feminist Creative Community — Poetry Nights!
Tues 18 October at 7:30pm @ The Fringe Bar, Allen St.
The Wellington Feminist Creative Community brings you its monthly curated Poetry Night! Eight poets bring their finest and freshest work to Tuesday nights.
The Poetry Nights are a safe and inclusive place for people to express themselves and are mindful of the need to avoid transphobia, misogyny, racism and ableism. They seek to platform a diversity of voices from the glorious expanse that is Wellington's rainbow communities. New poets are always welcome ... more on facebook.
CampGround Rainbow Comedy Night
Thursday 20 October 8pm @ Ivy Bar and Cabaret, 63 Cuba St.
A comedy showcase of our best LGBTQAII+ standup comedians, on the third Thursday of the month. Featuring polished pros and hilarious up-and-comers. Support your community by laughing with us! ... tix on eventfinda or at the door.
LGBTI history walk tours
The Fabulous Carmen walk tour: tea, toasties and trade - Sun 30th October
This free 90-minute community walk-tour as we trace Carmen's Wellington years (1967-1980).
You'll visit some of the remaining inner-city business locations and imagine some of those
that are no longer here: Le Balcon, Carmen's International Coffee Lounge, The Peacock,
Cleopatra's Coffee Lounge, Carmen's Bazaar, The Gazebo massage parlour, The Cottage brothel
and Carmen's Curio Shop.
Book at www.taonga.nz/walktours.
The Not-so-straight artists walk tour - Sun 6th November
Explore some of the locations and stories associated with artists, writers and musicians
who are in some way related to Rainbow LGBTI+ communities. We’ll feature writers Katherine
Mansfield and Frank Sargeson, artists Dorothy Richmond and Francis Hodgkins, musicians
Douglas Lilburn and the Glamaphones choir, international visitors Rupert Brooke and Somerset
Maugham, and visit what is widely considered to be the most homoerotic sculpture in Wellington.
This tour includes walking from Lambton Quay up to the top of the Bolton Street cemetery and
down again (moderate/steep incline).
Book at www.taonga.nz/walktours.
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage. Follow on www.taonga.nz/walktours.
Same sex dancing classes
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
- The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences and campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
- The On This Day page has a rich mix of rainbow life - from events that happened over 100 years ago to today.
- An interactive map of rainbow related sites in Wellington with links to interviews and articles on the website.
- Check out the historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
The Glamaphones are Wellington's all-inclusive rainbow choir based at St Andrews on the Terrace. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. Follow the Glamaphones on facebook or their website. Rehearsals on Thursdays 6.30pm (usually) at St Andrews on the Terrace.
School's Out is a Wellington and Lower Hutt support and social group for LGBTQI+ young people at high school, aged 13 to 18. The support group runs every school week throughout the year and sometimes does field trips!
Ivy Bar and Cabaret
James Smiths Basement, 49 Cuba Street - ivybar.co.nz - they have lots of shows and events
S&M's - Scotty and Mal's Cocktail and Lounge Bar
176 Cuba Street - www.scottyandmals.co.nz
facebook and other social media groups
- Hutt Valley Pride | Te Ngākau Kahukura o Te Awakairangi
- Hutt Valley Rainbows
- Queer Network NZ - Wellington Chapter - information sharing network
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Gay Wellington
- Tīwhanawhana is a takatāpui community group in Wellington that welcomes people of all diverse sexualities and gender. The kaupapa of Tīwhanawhana is primarily for takatāpui: building community, telling our stories and leaving legacies.
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- UniQ Massey Wellington
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...
Social sporty groups
- Wellington Wanderers - a rainbow community group who walk every Saturday morning - open to all.
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook