Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities. Follow on facebook
- Monthly drinks: Friday 10 Dec 5pm @ Eva Beva, 35 Dixon St.
Vinegar Hill rainbow camping
Vinegar Hill has been a popular camping spot for Gay and Lesbian people and their families
over Christmas and the New Year holiday period in the height of summer since 1977. But it
won't be quite the same this year:
1. Vinegar Hill Camping Grounds will be open as normal for campers.
2. Due to government regulations and guidelines they will not be able to hold any organised events for 2021. This means there will be no NYE show and Bonfire happening this year.
All welcome to come camp and enjoy Christmas and new year in the beautiful surrounds of the reserve. Lots of campers are coming as normal and it will be a fantastic time as normal, just a lot quieter. Follow the facebook group (a private group so you have to join).
PrideNZ.com audio archive
- The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences and campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
- The On This Day page has a rich mix of rainbow life - from events that happened over 100 years ago to today.
- An interactive map of rainbow related sites in Wellington with links to interviews and articles on the website.
- Check out the historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
LGBTI history walk tours
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group
that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around
Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage.
There are currently no walks planned for December or January ... follow on www.taonga.nz/walktours where virtual live-streaming of their walks is available via Youtube.
School's Out is a Wellington and Lower Hutt support and social group for LGBTQI+ young people at high school, aged 13 to 18. The support group runs every school week throughout the year and sometimes does field trips!
Ivy Bar and Cabaret
James Smiths Basement, 49 Cuba Street - www.ivybarandcabaret.co.nz - they have lots of shows and events
S&M's - Scotty and Mal's Cocktail and Lounge Bar
Rehearsals suspended until we reach GREEN
The Glamaphones are Wellington's all-inclusive rainbow choir based at St Andrews on the Terrace. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. Follow the Glamaphones on facebook or their website. Rehearsals on Thursdays 6.30pm (usually) at St Andrews on the Terrace.
Same sex dancing classes
Classes suspended until 2022 - the first class in the new year is scheduled to commence on Sunday 13th February all going well.
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
facebook and other social media groups
- Hutt Valley Rainbows a social group in the Hutt that organises meetups in better times
- Queer Network NZ - Wellington Chapter - information sharing network
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Gay Wellington
- Tīwhanawhana is a takatāpui community group in Wellington that welcomes people of all diverse sexualities and gender. The kaupapa of Tīwhanawhana is primarily for takatāpui: building community, telling our stories and leaving legacies.
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for gay and lesbian people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...
Social sporty groups
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook