Rainbow groups and activities
CampGround Rainbow Comedy Night
Thursday 15 June 8pm @ Ivy Bar and Cabaret, 63 Cuba St.
A comedy showcase of our best LGBTQAII+ standup comedians, on the third Thursday of the month. Featuring polished pros and hilarious up-and-comers. Support your community by laughing with us! ... tix on eventfinda or at the door.
Out on the Shelves Musical Performance
Saturday 17 June 2.30pm @ Johnsonville Library, 34 Moorefield Road
Celebrate Out on the Shelves at Johnsonville Library with the Glamaphones - facebook event page
The Glamaphones are Wellington's all-inclusive rainbow choir based at St Andrews on the Terrace. They are a friendly mixed choir and welcome anyone who wishes to sing. They sing a range of music including pop, classical, spirituals, world, choral, musical, and jazz classics. Follow the Glamaphones on facebook or their website. Rehearsals on Thursdays 6.30pm (usually) at St Andrews on the Terrace.
Wellington Feminist Creative Community — Poetry Nights!
Tuesday 20 June at 7:30pm @ The Fringe Bar, Allen St.
The Wellington Feminist Creative Community brings you its monthly curated Poetry Night! Eight poets bring their finest and freshest work to Tuesday nights.
The Poetry Nights are a safe and inclusive place for people to express themselves and are mindful of the need to avoid transphobia, misogyny, racism and ableism. They seek to platform a diversity of voices from the glorious expanse that is Wellington's rainbow communities. New poets are always welcome ... more on facebook.
LGBTI history walk tours
The fabulous Carmen walk tour: tea, toasties and trade - Saturday 1st July 1-2:30pm
This 90-minute community walk-tour traces Carmen’s Wellington years (1967-1980). Visit
some of the remaining inner-city business locations and imagine some of those that are
no longer here: Le Balcon, Carmen’s International Coffee Lounge, The Peacock, Cleopatra’s
Coffee Lounge, Carmen’s Bazaar, The Gazebo massage parlour, The Cottage brothel and
Carmen’s Curio Shop ... more
The walk is mainly on the flat using accessible public footpaths. It starts in Civic Square and ends in Upper Cuba Street. Book at www.taonga.nz/walktours. Share the facebook event page.
Walk Tours NZ is a volunteer group that offers free, accessible, inclusive and community-focused walking tours around Wellington highlighting the city’s rich LGBTI rainbow heritage. Usually held on the first Sunday of the month. They walk on flat, accessible public footpaths. Tours are limited to approximately 20 walkers.
Rainbow Wellington is an LGBTI+ organisation that focuses on networking, events and lobbying. Their website has information about past and present campaigns as well as directories of local LGBTI+ businesses, groups and activities. Follow on facebook
- Monthly drinks: Friday 11 August 5:30pm @ Fork & Brewer, 14-20 Bond St.
Taylor Swift Book Club
- a queer comedy cabaret
Thursday 24 August 7pm @ Circus Bar, 17b Allen St.
An interactive queer comedy cabaret featuring the music and lore of Taylor Alison Swift. Featuring local artists performing comedy, drag, burlesque, music, and presenting insane fan theories from the depths of the internet. The theme is Midnights so letâ€™s make the friendship bracelets and make the whole place shimmer. When the show ends the dance floor opens ... more on facebook. Tickets from eventfinda - they're selling fast!
Same sex dancing classes
The Sunday night DANSS classes are for Gay and Lesbian people and friends who wish
to learn some classical Ballroom, some funky Latin American and some elegant New Vogue
dance moves. A partner is not necessary however an attitude in wanting to learn and
having fun is required.
Classes are held at the Thistle Hall, corner of Cuba and Arthur Streets.
Beginner's class start at 7 pm and the Intermediate classes start at 8 pm. Payment is by koha/donation.
Check the DANSS facebook page or website for more information.
PrideNZ.com audio archive
Follow news of the latest audio files of interviews and events added to PrideNZ on their facebook page
- The Events section on the Pride NZ webside has audio from many queer/rainbow events, conferences and campaigns from around the country - a treasure trove with more being added regularly.
- The On This Day page has a rich mix of rainbow life - from events that happened over 100 years ago to today.
- An interactive map of rainbow related sites in Wellington with links to interviews and articles on the website.
- Check out the historical timeline of GLBTTIQ events and people in New Zealand. Sample it by decade or settle in to read the big page with the full list.
Ivy Bar and Cabaret
James Smiths Basement, 49 Cuba Street - ivybar.co.nz - they have lots of shows and events
S&M's - Scotty and Mal's Cocktail and Lounge Bar
176 Cuba Street - www.scottyandmals.co.nz
facebook and other social media groups
- Hutt Valley Pride | Te Ngākau Kahukura o Te Awakairangi
- Hutt Valley Rainbows
- Queer Network NZ - Wellington Chapter - information sharing network
- Breaking Boundaries an online forum that offers a safe place to chat for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer identifying individuals of all ages
- Gay Wellington
- Tīwhanawhana is a takatāpui community group in Wellington that welcomes people of all diverse sexualities and gender. The kaupapa of Tīwhanawhana is primarily for takatāpui: building community, telling our stories and leaving legacies.
- Out at Work - union group
- UniQ Victoria - facebook groups for queer students
- UniQ Massey Wellington
- Lost Gay Wellington
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- Vinegar Hill Gay Camping for rainbow people and their families over Christmas and the New Year holiday period
and no doubt there are many many more ...
Social sporty groups
- Rainbow Team Wellington - has an omnibus list of sporty and cultural groups.
- Frontrunners - a friendly group for gay and lesbian runners meeting twice a week for sociable runs.
- Different ropes - queer indoor climbing Wednesdays 5pm-7pm at Fergs Rockclimbing, Queens Wharf
- Different Strokes - a GLBT friendly swim club in Wellington.
- Wellington Racqueteers - a group for LGBTI folks who are interested in playing social badminton.
- Wildcats Women's Cricket - Women’s Social 8 a side T20 (20/20) cricket team
- Richter City Roller Derby - Wellington’s all female, flat track roller derby league
- Wellington Rainbow Bowling League on facebook
- Wellington Wanderers - a rainbow community group who walk every Saturday morning - open to all. They try and alternate between Wellington and Kapiti areas each fortnight. All walks are events in the Facebook group